Ply Wood Tank

• Thank you received: 0

marcus replied the topic: Re:Ply Wood Tank

Christ ofl is right that's going to be one hell of a weight on the wood, what are you going to use to strengthen the sides, 4x2?? i would have thought concrete would work better? I am not putting it down,infact I like the idea.

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mohandas Gandhi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 417

OFL replied the topic: Re:Ply Wood Tank

For what it's worth, I wouldn't even contemplate doing this unless you can actually see one in working order and talk to someone who can give your 100% guarantee that it will be okay.

My cabinet is made out of wood and seems okay. However, I wouldn't like to make a cabinet myself for that amount of weight. You need to know that it is going to support it. In fact, I would imagine that tanks like that are probably almost at ground level. If you think about it, if it's 4 foot high, and it's sitting on top of a structure that has to be big enough to take filtration, it's going to be around 7 feet high, okay if you're one of the Harlan Globetrotters, but not for most people. Your filtration will need to be located behind the tank I would imagine.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• warlock
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Oscar lover

warlock replied the topic: Re:Ply Wood Tank

wowwww Dalton ... this sure sounds like a plan.. although the mechanics dont seem to thrill me much.. i will definitely be the ones who be first in the line to see the fished product :D

If it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger...

• Dalton
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Reefer
  • Thank you received: 1

Dalton replied the topic: Re:Ply Wood Tank

My father has made these tanks in the past just not as big as this one he has made a 500 us gallon. the cabnet is only 2 foot high and made of steel. i have the plans for it my gf is a Union Welder and he would do the welding. o yea 1/4 inch thick sheting on top so that the botton of the tank is supported. so over all it would only be 6 foot high. O and the durability of the tank seems to be ok, my dad has had his for 10 years and its still holding up.

14 Gallon Biocube Reef tank started Jan. 2, 2012

• brucemarc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Oscar Fanatic!

brucemarc replied the topic: Re:Ply Wood Tank

WOW after seeing the topic heading i had to put in my two pennies worth (cents as you may call it).I'm not doubting your fathers ability to build these tanks and i don't for a second disbelieve he has built a large tank that has survived the said given amount of years. My concern is after speaking about this sort of thing before to my local aquarium dealer who's secondary line of work besides running the store is building custom tanks made to order. I remember him saying when he went to Canada they built similar wooden tanks over there yet he said also there was issues with the lifespan of them. He said some are stated at been able to last 15 years as long as every 3 years you'd completely drain the tank and re treat the wood and seals etc:. In his opinion the structure needed was needing to be 5 times that of those techniques used to build glass tanks of the same water volume. He said that although they are possible and of course are marketed in Canada that the building costs in the longer scheme of things are much more economical and efficient to go the glass way. It's a matter of preference and personal opinion really but to be honest if you can get glass so cheap i'd suggest you'd continue the project but using glass instead completely?. Whether it honestly makes a difference to the fish or not i'm not sure but i'm sure being in your cellar and having all sides but one solid (dark/wood) that the overall well being of the fish (happiness if you catch my meaning) would be better with more light showing in through all sides rather than just the one. I'm probably far off the track with that one but it's just my opinion;) Whatever you do though it's your vision and i'm certainly not trying to knock you at all as i think anyone who wants a big tank and goes out of there way to get one either by buying one or building it them selves deserves some respect as we all know bigger tank means bigger and happier Oscar:P

Regards Brucemarc

• Dalton
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Reefer

well from what u wrote i understand what ur tanking about me just doing it all in glass because i can get it so cheap. I would do it like that but is it just like building a smaller tank i would think the pressure would blow it out. Or would i have to have a 2x4 caseing along the corners or a metal 90 degree metal on the edging with some type of couchin because metal and tempered glass dont mix to well.

• PAUL
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

PAUL replied the topic: Re:Ply Wood Tank

as i have said earlier in my post here, i had built wooden
tank myself for my client (with one side glass for viewing)
it could last more than 5 years but due to time of promo
duration, we dismantle it when the promo had ended.

Dalton is correct in saying to use angular steel bar as frame
and support. in my case, the 4' x 8' glass had a support at the
middle to avoid breaking due water pressure.

the one that i built with fiber glass reinforcement is still
in use as of now after 22 years. i had use stainless steel 305
angular to avoid corrosion. i am not sure if they had repainted
it in that span of time.

marcus replied the topic: Re:Ply Wood Tank

I am not sure he means a tank like most people are thinking. I am thinking its something along the lines of the 800g Jobie that monsterfishrescue is building. A floor standing or a little higher pond with a glass front. I know it wouldn't look great in a living room but set up in a basement?? it could work, but I too would wonder about weights and the lot just becoming a big puddle.

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mohandas Gandhi

• Dalton
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Reefer

my basement is completely finished and i have 9 foot walls down there. taller then my living room and my drain is down there to so i can do water changes. And it would look better down there because my family room is down there. im not sure yet if im even gonna do itfinals are this week for my girlfriend and shes stressing pritty good.

• PAUL
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

PAUL replied the topic: Re:Ply Wood Tank

well said dalton. if you need some technical opinion, i will be around,
free of charge of course ha ha ha. i love doing things related to my line.

in a hotel and restaurant set-up, we usually demolished the area where the
glass pannel will be set-up for public viewing...(those who ganna choose and
buy the live specie for food). all other section were made of marine plywood
and reinforce frame.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 2.409 seconds