Small tank build

  • Brooksie
  • Brooksie's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Posts: 3509
  • Karma: 13
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: Small tank build

So when do we get to see if it holds water???

Congrats again Moderator!! You deserve it and have been a HUGE asset to this site!

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!
#268015

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 11735
  • Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Small tank build

cool tank build nina. i didn't know you had it in you. ;)

also , i got to see a glimpse of you in the reflection. :lol:

i can't remember , where the one modeling those chain shirts? :huh:

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0
#268067

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Nina_W
  • Nina_W's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Posts: 7765
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Small tank build

cebosound wrote: cool tank build nina. i didn't know you had it in you. ;)

also , i got to see a glimpse of you in the reflection. :lol:

i can't remember , where the one modeling those chain shirts? :huh:


I make chainmail, yes. So that was me :)

Brooksie wrote: So when do we get to see if it holds water???

Congrats again Moderator!! You deserve it and have been a HUGE asset to this site!


Thank you. And... voila:

(I read that my silicone cures at a rate of 2mm per 24 hours, so I had to give it a bit more than one day)

No leaks at all. Awesome :) But it took a good long while to clean up the extra silicone. Hooray for flat razor blades.

Now to cover and paint the stand, and then to prepare the soil.
#268113

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Nina_W
  • Nina_W's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Posts: 7765
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Small tank build just planted update

Suddenly, a jungle sprouted:

Well, not so suddenly, really. There's moss, three types of valisneria, moneywort, a dwarf anubias... and then a whole pile that i don't know yet in there.

Pardon the cloudiness, that is from the soil.

I wish I had taken out the long pliers (or small foreceps), a spoon, and a tray half filled with water to stack plants in as you prepare them for planting before I started. Oh well.

The spoon is for getting the 'cap' of sand or gravel in place. This is hardly trivial between all those plants!

I'm expecting plants do die off, and for things to change a lot in the next while. I will be testing the water tomorrow to see what the parameters are like. I'm expecting to see ammonia from the soil. This is an experiment. I'm trying a Walstad natural planted tank - there is no filter on this little tank - a powerhead for oxygenation, and a heater because I want a betta fishy :)

Here is my workspace now:
#268177

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 233
  • Thank you received: 7

jsvalenti replied the topic: Re: Small tank build

Awesome project, Nina! This makes me want to start some kind of project!

I am the ring-leader!
#268180

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • ehall67
  • ehall67's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Posts: 15869
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Small tank build

love the work space looks great! and I like the tank I hope it works out I would enjoy trying that!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals


#268183

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Nina_W
  • Nina_W's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Posts: 7765
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Small tank build

Thanks jsvalenti. Projects help me get tedious things done - work two hours, play for half an hour. In this case, play is this little tank.

Eddie, thank you :)
#268185

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • JasonR
  • JasonR's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Posts: 8643
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: Small tank build

That's great Nina, I love it! You have a cool work space! I like how wicket is right there. Now you have plants too for when wicket finishes destroying his!LOL My workspace is my recliner! Haha
#268240

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Nina_W
  • Nina_W's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Posts: 7765
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Small tank build

JasonR wrote: That's great Nina, I love it! You have a cool work space! I like how wicket is right there. Now you have plants too for when wicket finishes destroying his!LOL My workspace is my recliner! Haha


yes, it's great. Wicket hides behind my laptop screen, and slowly raises up until just her eyes are exposed. Then she stares at me until I look up - and she ducks down. This repeats for hours and hours.

When I am stuck, I put my hand to the tank, and Wicket comes and flares at it. If I move my hand, it gets chased.

I really can only recommend having your fish around you for long periods. I think she's happier for the interaction as well.
#268247

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Brooksie
  • Brooksie's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Posts: 3509
  • Karma: 13
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: Small tank build

Nina_W wrote:

JasonR wrote: That's great Nina, I love it! You have a cool work space! I like how wicket is right there. Now you have plants too for when wicket finishes destroying his!LOL My workspace is my recliner! Haha


yes, it's great. Wicket hides behind my laptop screen, and slowly raises up until just her eyes are exposed. Then she stares at me until I look up - and she ducks down. This repeats for hours and hours.

When I am stuck, I put my hand to the tank, and Wicket comes and flares at it. If I move my hand, it gets chased.

I really can only recommend having your fish around you for long periods. I think she's happier for the interaction as well.


:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks for that. I actually got a laugh out of the image of you and Wicket playing your game. We do this with the FH who is at the end of our couch. I play a similar game with Daggermouth but with my feet while laying on the couch reading a book. He comes to the end of the tank and stares at me. So I poke the tank with my toes, he attacks my toes through the tank. Then swims off to the other end of the tank, hides behind his boulder, then charges back at my toes attacking them again. Now I haven't moved my toes at all this whole time - the easiest game at all!! He just keeps attacking them over and over!!

Now, the tank looks great! Congrats on it holding water with no leaks!!! Thats awesome. I want to try plants but haven't researched that yet. Too chicken. :pinch: :S

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!
#268313

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds