So were have I been lately?

• RollerDJ
  • RollerDJ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

RollerDJ created the topic: So were have I been lately?

Well, between classes, classes, work... and did I say classes? I havn't been able to do much online. However, classes are now done, and I'm officially now a EMT (wOoT) I can start back on keeping everyone up to date on whats been going on in Teh DJ's household. This is what I picked up not to long ago from a friend of mine that used to breed Pleco's and shrimp.

265 gallons, plus filter, plus pump, metal halide light, substraight, and frame for the stand. I don't plan on using the MH light as I hate using big, energy hungery (and hot) lights. Instead, I'm doing this...

All LED's from RapidLED. 12 each of cool, warm, and neutral lights, plus 12 moon lights all on dimmable drivers.

I still have to get under the crawlspace to re-enforce the floor joists. 8 big floor jacks plus the foundation (which is under part of the frame) should hold all that wight. Then I need to drill the tank. Got my diamond coated hole saw bits a few days ago. Of course, I plan on doing a few trial holes in some scrap glass I have before touching the tank. More pic's will follow for sure!

RollerDJ: Sexual stuntman, at your service.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: So were have I been lately?

• RollerDJ
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

RollerDJ replied the topic: So were have I been lately?

Yea, I've been watching many of video's online on drilling. I still think it's wise to get the hang of it on a scrap peice. Better to crack a scrap peice of glass than a expencive tank!

• RollerDJ
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Also something else I've been thinking about doing. Depending on how high I can mount my filter and still maintain room for doing regular maintanance, I might do a seperate filter filled full of ceramic rings. My thinking is that I can add more water depth to the tank that has the pump connected. The Eshopps filter will only hold about 5" of water depth, and the last thing I want to do is constantly add water to replace evaporation. For now, I'm not going to have a auto top-off. That will be later on.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: So were have I been lately?

Why drill? Geta hang-on overflow if you're gonna do a wet/dry. No chance of cracking the tank.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• RollerDJ
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I've used HOB overflows, heck, I have one on my 120. I just kinda get nervous with them breaking their siphon. With a 1500gph pump, I could make a big mess in a hurry.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

How? Mine's been running for the better part of 20 years & that's never happened. I would be more nervous drilling glass, & once you do that, your options are limited.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• RollerDJ
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Bubbles building up. Some of the eshopps with "U" shape pipe shouldn't have that issue as much as the CPR one. I'm constantly seeing bubbles build up in that overflow. Of couse, there is a little pump on that overflow.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: So were have I been lately?

congrats on the certification and also the new tank!!

Im sure it will look great when you get it all finished up!!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Can you move the part of the overflow box that sits inside the tank up or down; perhaps there's not enough water flowing in from the tank to keep a siphon going?? Should be a wing-nut joining the OF to the rest of the box.....

Also, not sure if you're aware, one end of U tube is longer than the other...short end goes in tank part of overflow.

Just me, I'm not a fan of drilling, have seen & heard 1st hand drillng gone bad, ugly business......

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.445 seconds