Should I dismantle my tank?

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: Should I dismantle my tank?

Why not just silicone over the old stuff? I'm guessing its the glue that people are worried about?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Should I dismantle my tank?

theniceguy9112 wrote: Why not just silicone over the old stuff? I'm guessing its the glue that people are worried about?

silicone does not stick to old silicone. I guess you could go around this by making it extend past where the old silicone is, and attach the new silicone to the glass on either side - but this seems an unsightly solution, and likely, a temporary one since that silicone will wear off given time. This won't help fix leaks in the long run.

There's usually no glue involved with glass tanks, only silicone.

• Sosban Fach
  • Sosban Fach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Should I dismantle my tank?

So quick update.

Last couple of days weve been concentrateing on moveing stuff. We are officically out of the old place, but yet to unpack. I still need to screw wooden pads to the feet and coat the timber for the stand but i promised a photo. Forgive the clutter.

I had about an hour free last night so i started stripping the internal seals from the tank.

I managed to get a corner properly cleaned out and underneath the black stuff i found a small amount of clear silicone. It appears the previous owner has re-done the seals at the bottom of the tank. The clear silicone i found was where they didnt clean the corner out fully. I would summise the base of the tank has not been removed. This might mean it sprang a leak and they fixed it by repairing the internal seal only.

Im hopeing they were intending to reseal the whole tank and just gave up before they finsihed it. If they were doing it because it leaked. I dont intend on dismantiling the tank just yet. I know i should but i think i need a little more experience tank building before i try on something this size.
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: Should I dismantle my tank?

Hmmm... I wonder if I should redo the silicone in my tank on the corners. Looking at my 10 gallon tank and at my 55 there is a huge difference in the amount of silicone that there is, lol.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds