Refugium setup Q's

• Sosban Fach
  • Sosban Fach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach created the topic: Refugium setup Q's

Hi guys,

So im planning on installing a refugium. Im intending on useing a hang on overflow boxed (oversized obv) to drain into my spare/medical tank which is approximatly 30% capacity of my display tank. Im not planning on putting any filtration in it apart from stuffing it with elodia densa, moss balls to assist clearing nitrates, ghost shrimps for the ocaisional oscar work out and some neon tetras because a tank without fish is just plain wrong. Im not intending on feeding the tetras to the oscar.

So my questions are:

Most people seem to use powerheads for pumping water from the refugium. I intend to use my canister filter. I can't see this being a problem can you?

Is a 30% of my display tank large enough?

Are there better plants that are good at absorbing high nitrates at low light levels?

Has anyone bred ghost shrimp in there refugium? Some pointers would be good.

Many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Refugium setup Q's

Generally, canisters use gravity to feed it, and it pushes the water out. Are you planing to have the canister below the refugium?

• Sosban Fach
  • Sosban Fach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Refugium setup Q's

Yeah theres a recomendation to keep the top of the filter a min of 10cm below water level; otherwise it ends up collecting air. I have a shelf in my stand I was going to place refugium on. Filter goes on floor.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds