future DIY tank stand

• gorgoroth
  • gorgoroth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth created the topic: future DIY tank stand

ok so i'm planning of making one stand to put multiple tanks next to eachother, the dimension would roughly be: 16.4'x3.3'x2.8', using 4by4s the way i have it in my mind there would be a support beam every 3' heightwise aswell as depthwise, would this be able to carry the weight of lets say 3 tanks weighing a total of nearly 3000kg?

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: future DIY tank stand

Would be great plenty. 2 x 4's would be enough or even going 2 x 6's would be overkill

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: future DIY tank stand

2x4 and 2x6 are much easier to cut, and will provide plenty of support. Overbuilding is better than under building, so I would suggest doing what makes sense to you. I think the cost difference between the 4x4 and other lumber will be minimal, but the difference in the weight of the stand will be significant. I had one diy work out really well, and one that sucked. Take your time and you will get the results you want.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: future DIY tank stand

do it.

i need some inspiration for my 65 gallon stand build.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• gorgoroth
  • gorgoroth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: future DIY tank stand

cebosound wrote: do it.

i need some inspiration for my 65 gallon stand build.

hehe this will be a wee bit bigger, it's supposed to cover nearly an entire wall in our new house, and the cutting should be no issue as i will let the garden center where i buy the wood do that :) i will most likely have to make 2 cabinets and align them perfectly as i haven't seen any wood this long :p

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Thank you received: 1

Virindi replied the topic: future DIY tank stand

I would use metal bars, it seems like it would be faster and easier.. cut, weld, paint.

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: future DIY tank stand

Virindi wrote: I would use metal bars, it seems like it would be faster and easier.. cut, weld, paint.

Welding or painting isnt actually neccasary; you can buy pre-cut steel and connectors. just search for "BUILD!T" on ebay all you need is to split your design into steel lengths, decide on what types of connectors to use where. When it arrives all you need is a rubber mallet.

You can buy pre-cut steel and fixings quite easily on ebay in the uk; quite cheap to. I suspect alot cheaper than a wooden frame.

This is my stand made in this way; mine was free par the wood I used for the base. I got feet made up because I didnt like the standard design. That said the standard design feet are adjustable so you can use them to level your tank. I just didnt like the idea of near 1000kg sitting on waht looked like an M10 thread.

These are the layouts I drew up to decide how to do it. In the end I went with somnething that was a mix of the shown layouts. Layout 1 is the strongest, but the layout I went wwith worked out cheaper because I didnt need to buy any more connectors. Just scabbed the lot from my dad.

Steel doesnt warp in damp enviroments either.

Personally Id make three seperate stands instead of one. Then link the stands with additional braceing if needs be. That way if you want you could seperate the tanks.

Sosban Fach wrote:

Virindi wrote: I would use metal bars, it seems like it would be faster and easier.. cut, weld, paint.

Welding or painting isnt actually neccasary; you can buy pre-cut steel and connectors. just search for "BUILD!T" on ebay all you need is to split your design into steel lengths, decide on what types of connectors to use where. When it arrives all you need is a rubber mallet.

You can buy pre-cut steel and fixings quite easily on ebay in the uk; quite cheap to. I suspect alot cheaper than a wooden frame.

This is my stand made in this way; mine was free par the wood I used for the base. I got feet made up because I didnt like the standard design. That said the standard design feet are adjustable so you can use them to level your tank. I just didnt like the idea of near 1000kg sitting on waht looked like an M10 thread.

I did mine cutting and welding. Also with adjustable feet, and with 8 of them this weight is not a problem at all.
I don't know about the price but that thing you have looks super easy. Much easier than wood.

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: future DIY tank stand

Virindi wrote:
I did mine cutting and welding. Also with adjustable feet, and with 8 of them this weight is not a problem at all.
I don't know about the price but that thing you have looks super easy. Much easier than wood.

Was super easy.

Not everyone has welding equipment, or a workshop at there disposal. Still im not sure i would trust home welding because home welding probably means stick welding because its the most useful, but not the best for structural components.

And you need a machine cut on that those sqaure hollow sections otherwise it goes wonky. Hell lets throw in a sand blaster and paint shop as well.

This is mine. I wouldn't have been able to do it in wood it seems too complicated.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds