DIY Chiller

• robham7770
  • robham7770's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 created the topic: DIY Chiller

It has gotten to the point that I have zero space for new or larger tanks. I am working on moving my hobby to my 22'x24' garage. In my mind this is a great solution, and there are several reasons for this.

1. No more disagreements on where I can put a tank(with the boss).
2. 24'= a lot of flexibility.
3. My hot water heater is out there so I have the ability to control temp for WC.
4. It would be much easier to do tank maintenance If most of them were in the
same room.
5. The garage is a slab so weight will not be a factor.

There are only a couple of cons to the project.

1. It will be time consuming, and due to the fact that this is not a climate
controlled space, it will also be expensive to insulate and regulate temp.
I live in LA(lower Alabama), and temps range from 18F in winter to 96F
in summer.

I think I might have a solution for the summer temps. I have a refrigerated unit and a pump that I think might be able to stabilize temps during the summer months.

Briefly, my plans are to run copper tubing into two five gallon buckets to chill the water. I am considering using a manifold to deliver the cold water to multiple tanks, however this seems risky due to the fact that if one tank has a problem then all of them will. The other option is to run tubing through each tank as a radiator, but the last tank or two may not get any benefit. Anyway here are some pics, and suggestions are appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: DIY Chiller

By the way the lid is acrylic and hollow, I plan on drilling holes for tubing, and filling the rest of the space with liquid foam insulation via smaller driled holes.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: DIY Chiller

How are you gonna control what temp the tanks stay at with varying daytime and nighttime temps?

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

JasonR wrote: How are you gonna control what temp the tanks stay at with varying daytime and nighttime temps?

That is one of the problems, I thought about using a timer, to kick the system on or off at certain times. The unit has a temp control so I might be able to able to experiment and find a happy medium. My other thought was to use heaters to balance out any dips in temp. Any way, I am just trying to expedite getting a better set up so any and all suggestions are appreciated.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: DIY Chiller

What about putting a window air conditioner in your garage?? Cut a hole in it if there's no window. Other wise you could by a controller used primarily in salt tanks but basically they turn heaters and chillers on and off to maintain temp

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

JasonR wrote: What about putting a window air conditioner in your garage?? Cut a hole in it if there's no window. Other wise you could by a controller used primarily in salt tanks but basically they turn heaters and chillers on and off to maintain temp

My house is brick, so cutting a hole is not an option. I could probably do a window unit, however I have aluminum windows and would have to replace them, since the widest opening is about 12" between the window panes. I have considered a portable ac unit like this one, but I am not sure it will do the job until I can get everything else in order.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds