Vacation request submitted. DIY time!

• robham7770
  • robham7770's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 created the topic: Vacation request submitted. DIY time!

I only get two weeks a year, so I try to space them out. My wife is going to the Fl. Keys with her biology students, so that means I need to take off for the kids. I usually work 11 to 12 hr days so I can't normally take them to or pick them up from school. I will have days free to work on my current project. I don't know how far I will get, but I am excited none the less. Here is a hint to what it is.

Excuse the mess, six years of junk does not disappear easily. The insulation is new and my old work bench is about to get a makeover. The bench is 8'x2' and is about to get a new top and a lot of bracing. The Breaker box is in the corner and I already have the extra breaker and wire for electrical. The garage also has hot and cold water, so I intend to run plumbing directly to the tanks for water changes. I was going to order a 135 from glass cages for $369+ del, but now I am leaning towards 2 or 3 x 75gal from my lfs@ $135 each. For climate, I am going to service my current hvac add some insulation to the ducts and attic and tie the attached garage into the current system (hope it works). I hope to get some stuff done before I check out of the salt mines on May 4th, but I have a full plate until then.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Vacation request submitted. DIY time!

A fish room ??? :ohmy: Congrats ! :)
Looks like you will have your hands full. will this come with frequent updates and pics ? Whats going into the tanks ?

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Vacation request submitted. DIY time!

Nice dude! Looking forward to this!!

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Vacation request submitted. DIY time!

Excellent! You have just a "bit" of work to do before its tank time, but here's a thought. I recently bought a new 120g, 60x18x26. This is a very versatile tank. I use it for my Africans, but options are many. Big enough for a single large cichlid, or community of smaller fellas. Easily filtered with a medium canister, or pair of big hobs(AC110). I paid 250 in Canada. Tank is a Marineland, same as my 265. Warranty for life to the original owner. Made in Noblesville, Indiana. They been making tanks since 1969. Maybe even less than 250 in the US?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: Vacation request submitted. DIY time!

Suprd71 wrote: Excellent! You have just a "bit" of work to do before its tank time, but here's a thought. I recently bought a new 120g, 60x18x26. This is a very versatile tank. I use it for my Africans, but options are many. Big enough for a single large cichlid, or community of smaller fellas. Easily filtered with a medium canister, or pair of big hobs(AC110). I paid 250 in Canada. Tank is a Marineland, same as my 265. Warranty for life to the original owner. Made in Noblesville, Indiana. They been making tanks since 1969. Maybe even less than 250 in the US?

@Firestorm, I have a 1.5" GT, a 2.0" JD, and a 1.0" Jag that need some space. If all goes well, I would love some pikes, bichirs, angels, geophagus, and etc... Oh yeah an Arrow or Gar! :P

@Suprd71, That would be a great buy, but after talking to my fish guy at my LFS they can order me a 125 for $450. Tomorrow I am going to a nearby town to check out a couple of fish stores, maybe they will have prices more in line with what you have found. I need the 75's anyway for my O's, I have decided that they need to be the only fish in their tanks, and want to offer them something better than the bare minimum 55.

@Jason, Thanks I hope to include some pics of a plywood build sooner than later.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Just got these two last night. I still need to reinforce the stand, get filtration, substrate, decor, etc..., but just having them on site gives me added motivation.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Vacation request submitted. DIY time!

Great to see progress man! Build a 500 gal plywood tank!

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

JasonR wrote: Great to see progress man! Build a 500 gal plywood tank!

I am thinking 10'x36'x30 which should be a little over 500 gal. I still have a lot of other stuff to take care of first. This weekend was not productive for the tank room, Saturday I went to a reptile show, so my wife could get a gf for her Kenyan sand boa, and Sunday I worked(paid for the 2x75), then all hell broke loose. Plumbing is backed up and even after spending several hours with an electric auger, it is still not working properly. Hope to have this sorted out tomorrow. On a brighter note, after the reptile show, we visited a fish store with some really amazing stock. Best looking Firemouths I have ever seen, and the only Calvus I have ever seen, and a really cool blue phantom pleco. It was all I could do to leave empty handed.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Vacation request submitted. DIY time!

I love progress in the morning!

so what did the 75 end up running you?

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

ehall67 wrote: I love progress in the morning!

so what did the 75 end up running you?

Got them for $122 each tank only. I want at least one more, but these were the only two they had at the time. I hope when they get more they keep the same price, but the guy I usually deal with was not sure. Still looking for better prices on 6ft tanks, but they will have to wait until I get the basic wiring, plumbing, and climate control functioning.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds