Peat filter

• Big-Ken
  • Big-Ken's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken created the topic: Peat filter

*BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR DOING AND WHY BEFORE TRYING TO CHANGE YOUR WATER*

Just finished my peat filter last night and thought it might interest some of you. My goals with this project is to try and soften my water and drop the pH to increase the fertility of my angels and to start keeping more sensitive blackwater dwarf cichlids and hopefully breed them.

The system consists of two 30 gallon basins, a 5 gallon bucket, and a pump.

The basins are connected by a pipe at the bottom

A hole is cut into the lid and the 5 gallon bucket is inset into the lid

Holes are drilled into the bottom of the bucket to allow the water to drain back into the basins after filtering thru the peat. The pipe down the center is the overflow back to the basins, the water drains slower than my 150gph pump adds so it prevents flooding

The bottom 3" of the bucket is filled with pillow batting to keep the peat from going out the bottom

Then 8-10" of Canadian peat moss and more batting on top to keep the peat from floating, peat was $10 for a huge bale at Lowes

Here's a video of it in action

I'll post some water test results tonight, the tests i did last night were very promising maybe to much so :blink:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

ehh replied the topic: Peat filter

That is really cool!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Peat filter

are you using a TDS monitor to see the mineral content between the peat filtered water and your own tap?

• Big-Ken

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: Peat filter

Rocksor wrote: are you using a TDS monitor to see the mineral content between the peat filtered water and your own tap?

Right now I'm just testing pH, GH, & KH but im going to order a tds meter this weekend

• Big-Ken

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: Peat filter

Here's some water tests done over the last 24 hours, hopefully the water will stay stable over the next 24-72 hours

Straight out of tap
pH- 8.4
GH- 8°
KH- 3°

24 hours aged tap
pH- 7.6
GH- 8°
KH- 3°

1 hour thru peat
pH- 6.4
GH- 4°
KH- 2°

2 hours thru peat
pH- <6
GH- 3°
KH- 1°

24 hours thru peat
Same as 2 hours

50/50 mix w/aged tap
pH- 6.6
GH- 6°
KH- 2°

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Peat filter

Is this being pumped into your tanks or are you doing manual WC's?

Wait until you see the colors of the Angels after about a week of being kept in "blackwater".....when I was doing the Discus/Angelfish thing, it just appeared to me that they looked better & were more robust....Oscars love this stuff too. B)

Very cool, BK.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Peat filter

that's pretty neat ken ... looks like a easy DIY project .. which i know will take me weeks to figure out ...

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Peat filter

very nice looking, i might copy this setup but go with some larger containers just for ease of use. might fill a small canister with peat and use a 75g aquarium to cycle water in.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: Peat filter

So is the end game having a 50% mix of tap and peat water? Or will you just have it go through peat for 1 hour?

• Big-Ken

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: Re: Peat filter

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Is this being pumped into your tanks or are you doing manual WC's?

Wait until you see the colors of the Angels after about a week of being kept in "blackwater".....when I was doing the Discus/Angelfish thing, it just appeared to me that they looked better & were more robust....Oscars love this stuff too. B)

Very cool, BK.

I'm doing manual water changes, maybe in the new house i might try to implement it into a central sump or auto changer. I can't wait to get the fish
into the new water just need to make sure everything is stable before making that move

tehmole wrote: that's pretty neat ken ... looks like a easy DIY project .. which i know will take me weeks to figure out ...

Lol I know what you mean this project had gone pretty smooth......so far

gorgoroth wrote: very nice looking, i might copy this setup but go with some larger containers just for ease of use. might fill a small canister with peat and use a 75g aquarium to cycle water in.

I considered that but from my research you need a decent amout of peat to really make a substantial difference

Rocksor wrote: So is the end game having a 50% mix of tap and peat water? Or will you just have it go through peat for 1 hour?

The plan is to also have a 55g under another stand to age regular tap then mix it with the concentrated peat water to make 110 gallons of 50/50 mix, by mixing some aged tap i can increase the KH without increasing the pH much and that should allow a more stable pH. Also by keeping the two water sources seperate allows me to mix different ratios and dial in the exact water conditions i want depending on what im keeping

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds