Getting a new tank

• Debow
  • Debow's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Debow created the topic: Getting a new tank

Hi all!

So as you know I have 2 tiger oscars, 2 JD, and 2 EBJD. I have the blues in a 16 gal tank (they are barely 1 in long) and the rest in a 55 gal (though at the moment all are in the 16 gal tank while the cycle finishes setting in the 55 gal). Currently we do water changes in 16 gal 3 times a week at 50%. I change the water before each change. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate isn't 0 but not quite reading at the next level on the chart. Anyways....

Once we move into our home (by end of march beginning April) we want to set up a 200 gal plus tank. We are tanking of building our tank from scratch (even the tank part itself). So here are my questions:

1. What are your thoughts on glass tanks verse acrylic tanks?

2. In a 200 gal tank or bigger, can we keep our 2 oscars in there with tank mates? What size is best to be able to do this? And what are good tank mates for oscars?

I have done a lot of reading on OFL and all the different forum topics and now I just want to voice my thoughts and get feedback from all you more experienced fish-keepers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Getting a new tank

If I were building a 200 gallon tank myself I would make it 9' long x 2' wide x 1.5' high.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Debow
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Debow replied the topic: Re:Getting a new tank

Why those dimensions?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Getting a new tank

What you want to bear in mind is how easy will it be to access the tank if you make it quite tall. Assuming the tank will be sitting on top of the cabinet with all your filtration underneath, I would think you will be looking at at least 24 inches worth of cabinets in height. Therefore you don't want to be building anything that is too high, it would just make gaining access difficult, especially if you're not very tall. If it was me, I would probably go for something in the region of 7' x 2' x 2', that will bring you out at around 200 US gallons. Jason suggested 9 feet, I also almost went for a tank of 9 foot, but actually went for 8 feet, that's a big tank and you need lots of space for it. 7 x 2 x 2 will give your Oscars lots of space to swim back and forth an up-and-down.

As for what you want to make it from, personally I would go for acrylic. Yes, two Oscars would be fine, with a few tank mates.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Getting a new tank

If building your own from scratch, I would see what standard size materials come in and work within those to keep cost at a reasonable amount. If 8ft is what a standard piece of glass or acrylic comes in your cost will likely be pretty reasonable, when you go over to special sizes the cost can get pretty high. The other thing is if you are doing a built in the wall where you will only see the front you could also consider doing a plywood build for the box and then just a clear panel on the front. Tons of options, but with the cost and work involved many just find it easier to buy a manufactured tank and work it into the build.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Getting a new tank

Since you are thinking about building the tank yourself, the most appropriate category is DIY for this post

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Debow

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Getting a new tank

imo, diy tanks of the size range you are considering just aren't worth the work. Materials will be expensive, especially acrylic. Then, there is always the "will it hold?"question. You can purchase a new, with warranty 7ft 265gal glass tank for about $1500

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Getting a new tank

Dave is right.. If your not making something totally oddball for size then you really can't beat the price of just buying a constructed tank.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Debow
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Debow replied the topic: Getting a new tank

So height is not a problem for us. I'm 5'10" and hubby is 6'1". Our 55 gal sitting on top of our bar which is about 4' tall and the tank is about 2' tall. (All together it is 2 inches taller than me and we just stand on a stool to do anything for it). Also we have a 2 yr old and a newborn so we want like it to be out of their reach as who knows what kids might do to "fishys" (that's what our son calls them haha)

We plan to have it set up so that it can be seen from all sides (like our 55 gal is now).

Price is not that big an issue for us. My hubby does home repair and remodeling and so he can cut all materials needed or we know someone who can for a low cost.

We have been watching a lot of "Fish Tank Kings" and doing our own research and have found that glass tanks can break for no reason and are not as durable. That's why we are thinking about making an acrylic tank or buying if we can find one which ever is more cost effect.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Getting a new tank

Debow wrote: We have been watching a lot of "Fish Tank Kings" and doing our own research and have found that glass tanks can break for no reason and are not as durable. That's why we are thinking about making an acrylic tank or buying if we can find one which ever is more cost effect.

Glass tanks are not that delicate. I own both glass and acrylic, with my 210g being glass and a 72g bowfront being acrylic. I actually like my glass tank more. The acrylic scratches very easily and I am constantly trying to keep it looking good. I am super careful with it but since I have sand in there I still manage to get a small grain give a scratch every now and the. While you can buff those out how often do you get the chance to do so on the inside? I am looking to replace it with a glass tank as soon as I can find what Im looking for. Just my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Debow

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds