Ideas for new background??

• tjwalley
  • tjwalley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

tjwalley created the topic: Ideas for new background??

I got a used tank a few years back off of craigslist and the guy painted the back baby blue. i've tried every trick in the book to get the paint off and nothing has worked. all i want is a solid black background but it's going to have to be done from the inside of the tank. other than a thin foam/cement 3d background, the only other idea i have is tinting a thin piece of glass and putting it in the tank...but it's a 6 footer so it'd have to be done in sections which sounds like a pain getting seams to match. i'm hoping someone has had this problem and has a simple fix?
thanks i advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Ideas for new background??

I reckon a foam 3-D backgrounds on the inside with look absolutely awesome if you can get hold of one easily. Have you tried paint stripper? I'm sure that would remove it if you use the right stuff

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

tjwalley replied the topic: Ideas for new background??

the 3d backgrounds look amazing but i'm not too sure about my ability on making one lol the premade ones are pretty expensive so i'd have to do it myself.
i seen a pretty inexpensive way to make them using egg crate, spray foam, and textured spray paint...the guy in the video said he researched the paint and it's non-toxic for the fish but i'm having a hard time raking his word on that...surely that'd kill the fish? i dont have anything i could let something that size soak in either so thats the other hangup i'm running into with that option. i tried paint thinners, gasoline and painting over it. if all else fails i may just get a plain black paper background and see if i can figure out how to get it to stick without draining the entire tank

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Ideas for new background??

Am worried that paint striper could weaken the silicone seals. 3d backgrounds are nice, though would worry they take up valuable water volume, depending on the size.

You say you've "tried paint thinners, gasoline and painting over it. " Have you tried a simple razor blade? Non-toxic and usually effective, taking care not to touch the silicone.

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

tjwalley replied the topic: Ideas for new background??

i haven't tried the razor blade yet, but the problem is it's all setup now. if it comes down to it i'll tear it all down and move it outside and give that a shot but i'm hoping to avoid all that. I was just doin some wishful thinking that someone else has been in this position and found a cheap and easy fix. i've lived with it this long so it's not a huge deal, i still enjoy watching them. i just think the colors of the fish will stick out a lot more against a darker background

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds