• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Re: NO2 and NO3

yeah,the right eye is bulged... try to get some epsom salt, put some
tank water in a bucket, put epsom salt in it, 1 table spoon /5 gal, and
put the oscar in there for one hour, this should help the fish drain
excess fluid in the bulging eye...

or you may add the salt in your tank...that is if you do not have
other scaleless fish in there...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pags
  • pags's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

pags replied the topic: Re: NO2 and NO3

hiyas,

this fish has not recovered with water treatments, epson salts and appears to have 'white spot' would it be time to think of a humane way to euthanize this fish? or is their something else i could try ? the fish appears to be happy just looks so very ill and getting worse with the white spots.

might i add the other Oscar is problem free and in very good health

• Thank you received: 2

jantilla replied the topic: Re: NO2 and NO3

pags wrote: hiyas,

this fish has not recovered with water treatments, epson salts and appears to have 'white spot' would it be time to think of a humane way to euthanize this fish? or is their something else i could try ? the fish appears to be happy just looks so very ill and getting worse with the white spots.

might i add the other Oscar is problem free and in very good health

The oscar has ich as well? If so I found great info below from oscarfish.com.

All that is needed to cure 99% of Ich cases is temps in excess of 86 degrees, salt at a dosage of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons (I actually get it up to three tablespooons per 5 gallons over a period of several days, if necessary), and daily water changes/gravel vacs.

Most strains of ich cannot propogate in temps above 86 degrees. If the temp is at 86 or just below, you just speed up the life cycle. At temps above 86 degrees, you will kill some free swimming ich and stop the cysts that drop off the fish from multiplying into hundreds more ich.

A dosage of salt at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons increases the fish's slime coat (which makes it harder for free swiming ich to attach themselves to the fish) and helps the fish retain proper osmoregulation. Freshwater fish do not "drink" water, they absorb it via their skin. A salt dosage increases the TDS values of the water (basically, in laymans terms, makes the water molecules larger). Ich kills by all of the tiny holes poked into the skin causing the fish to absorb more water than they should, basically resulting in the fish drowning in it's body fluids. By increasing the TDS values (making the water molecules bigger) it is harder for the water to be absorbed by the fish, so they are less likely to take in too much water.

A dosage of salt at 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons will actually kill some free swimming ich.

Water changes/gravel-surface vacs remove freee swimming ich as well as ich cysts (from the floor/substrate of the aquarium), limiting their population in the tank.

These three things combined will safely cure 99% of ich cases without fears of creating tumors that may result from the use of almost all ich medications.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: NO2 and NO3

If the fish is swimming and eating fine, do not euthanize. The fish still has a very good chance to recover from the ICH.

As stated raise the temp of the tank to 87F, 1 degree per hour. Keep it that way for 10 days AFTER the spots have disappear.

Also increase the surface water agitation so more oxygen is mixed into the water.

• Miss Nicki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Miss Nicki replied the topic: Re: NO2 and NO3

If your fish in fact has white spot, just turn the tank temp up to 86F and leave it there for 10 days after the last spot is gone...

Make sure you have lots of bubbles as the higher temp will deplete the oxygen!

• pags
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks will try this, the water is fine and i have been watching it closely since the O had popeye, 15% water changes have been done each week NO2/3 been close to nothing. Guess this makes sence when in australia we have days of 34c Celsius (air con running inside at 24c for 12 hrs and other other 12 inside would be around 30c i dident think with the volume of water this would make a huge difference in temp

Power head blowing lots of bubbles into the tank as well

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Re: NO2 and NO3

It`s a bit odd that only one is sick, maybe post some pics that way somebody might be better able to help.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• pags
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Sure got 2 photos of the sick Oscar and 2 of the healthy one... both share the same tank but they have been separated due to all the problems starting from the healthy Oscar harassing the sick one (stress started all the problems i think)

cant get the pictures to post.....
image shack Album

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Re: NO2 and NO3

could not see the problem in here1

• pags
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

thats the healthy O...

I thought that link was to 4 photos i had taken... 2 of the healthy O and 2 of the sick O

Sick O

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds