massive diferences in liquid test kit readings

• biggamehunter
  • biggamehunter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

biggamehunter created the topic: massive diferences in liquid test kit readings

i have tested my water 3 times tonight with 2 different make kits ....first i tested for nitrate with an api liquid test kit and got 3 readings of 30ppm..

then i immediately ran 3 identical tests with a hagen nutrafin nitrate test kit under exact conditions and got 3 readings of 5 ppm......

has anyone further info on the huge discrepancies between the readings and which do you beleive to be the true reading ????????????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

pepetj replied the topic: Re:massive diferences in liquid test kit readings

Some liquid test have long life -e.g. pH tests. Nitrates on the other hand might give false readings, but as far as I know when due, nitrates test show less than what actually is present.

This is what I would do. Do a 25% water change. If your tap water is nitrate free, your reading should be 25% less. Measure again with both test to test which one is reflecting reality better.

Pepe
Santo Domingo

Tank #4: Heavily Planted 121UKgal.
2 paired-off Tiger Oscars 13\" ea. + 2 paired-off Angelfish 4.5\" ea. + 2 pairs of paired-off Convicts 4\" ea. + 17 Silver Dollars 2.5-3\" ea. + 6 Kenyi 4 to 5\" ea.

marcus replied the topic: Re:massive diferences in liquid test kit readings

I have had a similar thing. I purchased a new nitrate tester as my usual one was running low. I tested with both to find a difference of 10pph. now i am not sure what one is correct??

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mohandas Gandhi

• biggamehunter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

biggamehunter replied the topic: Re:massive diferences in liquid test kit readings

my point exactly.........i obviously know how to deal with nitrates but the question is which test is correct or how do i find out??????? pepetj..whats - 25% of 30ppm????????????? or 25% of 5ppm??????????????

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Parachromis...accept no substitute
  • Thank you received: 78

Necromancer4 replied the topic: Re:massive diferences in liquid test kit readings

maybe a third test with another tester is needed to be sure which test kit is right.
if after a 25% water change the new nitrate level should read 22.5 on the one test and should read 3.75 on the other

Warning..I will offend you at some point!!!

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

• biggamehunter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

biggamehunter replied the topic: Re:massive diferences in liquid test kit readings

cheers.......i just done a waterchange so the new readings are 5ppm on one and the other must be about minus 25ppm now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL LOL

marcus replied the topic: Re:massive diferences in liquid test kit readings

Ok now i am puzzled. I checked my tap water to find that its up by 10pph.the same amount of difference to the 2 kits. now I will do as necro say and buy another kit. i can only guess that the other kit was reading lower or this kit higher.

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mohandas Gandhi

• biggamehunter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

marcus wrote:

Ok now i am puzzled. I checked my tap water to find that its up by 10pph.the same amount of difference to the 2 kits. now I will do as necro say and buy another kit. i can only guess that the other kit was reading lower or this kit higher.

me too............

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds