Brownish Algae Becoming Green (HELP!)

• S.S.
  • S.S.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. created the topic: Brownish Algae Becoming Green (HELP!)

Hi there,

My 55gal tank only having one O is developing some brown algae:

Every WC (once a week 40%) I scrub the rocks and plants and clean the gravel but 2 days after here they are.

First I thought it had to do with the new plants, that about 6 weeks ago I've putted. At the beginning I increased from 6h to 8h of light a day and added some fertilizers from Sera (Florenette A and Day Drops). My tank as 3 lights T5 and 2 of them have 14.000k the other I can't tell but his much less brighter. At that time I used the less bright light all those 8h only turning the brighter ones 3 or 4h a day.

After 1st algae appearence some friends told it was due to bad lights and that I should increase the power, so I've set the timer for all 3 lights 10h a day at the same time and besides those fertilizers added also Sera Floreplus to speed up plants grow... but the problem still continues and the plants are showing some damage...

I love those plants and current setup but dislike a lot the brownish look a few days after cleaning all. So here are the questions, what I'm doing wrong:

- to much light?
- to much fertilizers?
- what else?

Hope I've made my problem perfectly understood and can get some help.

THANKS!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re: Brownish Algae (HELP!)

I have got quite a bit of that algae staining a lots of the pebbles in my tank. Personally, it doesn't bother me and I just accept that it's part of the system and that algae will occur naturally in an aquatic environment.

What are your nitrates like? Algae loves nitrate so if it's high you may find Algae building up. Try just putting your lights on in the evenings, maybe a couple of hours a day, remember fish don't really need Lots of lighting, especially during the daytime. I think you may have to accept that algae will build up and do what the rest of us do, manually remove it.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: Brownish Algae (HELP!)

It could also be due to the amount of phosphates in your tank from your tap water. I don't have any lights and after 3 months it has grown on the side of my tank.

Use some filtration media to reduce the phosphates in your tank like Seachem Phosguard

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Brownish Algae (HELP!)

that brown algae is diatoms, it's part of a maturing tank and will eventually give way to green algae given enough light.

It grows on silicates, so if you have pool filter sand, chances are you'll always have diatoms (like me - unless I start adding phosphates to encourage green algae).

At least it wipes away easily.

Here are some links:
www.skepticalaquarist.com/diatom-control

aquadaily.com/2009/01/09/algae-control-in-a-freshwater-aquarium/

A little bit more on the technical side:
badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article85.html

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

S.S. replied the topic: Re: Brownish Algae (HELP!)

I do know that some algae is part of the system but 2 days after the WC all gravel is brown and plants and rocks too... that's too mutch.

I went to a LFS , talked about this and they recommended to do WC with reverse osmosis water due to tap water may have that problem.

ABout the lights if it was green algae I would cut down on hours of light but this brown algaes are due to mainly to 2 problems, bad insufficient light or high silicates and phosphates. I think I'll try that Seachem Phosguard.

What about fertilizers should I keep on or stop?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: Brownish Algae (HELP!)

if you go reverse osmosis, you'll have to measure the TDS levels regularly, and re-introduce minerals.

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Rocksor wrote: if you go reverse osmosis, you'll have to measure the TDS levels regularly, and re-introduce minerals.

I'm not thinking about this now, 1st I'll try seachem prime but still don't know if I should keep the fertilizers or not... I'm afraid to loose the plants if they are not proper cared.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Brownish Algae (HELP!)

i have had issues in the past with this. i have heard/read that it can be caused by not enough light.

but in my experience that wasnt' really the case. i think it was more of an issue of a lack of watermovement. well atleast more watermovement has resolved the issue for me.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Cebo... I have 2 filters on that tank moving around 7x per hour all the water in the tank, about the lights I have doubts too already tried 6 or 10h and its the same.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Brownish Algae (HELP!)

sounds good. so , not sure.

have you ever tried a powerhead with possibly some airation?

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds