PH Question

• w66
  • w66's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

w66 created the topic: PH Question

Hi,
when I put the tap water in at the start of my new tank 3 days ago, the ph was 7.0, other than the water and the filters, all I have in the tank is about a 1.5 inch thick layer of coloured gravel that I rinsed before putting in, but the ph is now 7.5, any ideas why it went up?
thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:PH Question

the ph in a fish tank will fluctuate. Rocks, wood,can have an effect on your pH. These type of things are what we call buffers, they have an affect on the pH. Wood for instance will have a tendency to lower your pH, Corel will raise your pH. As I don't really know your situation, I couldn't tell you exactly why your pH is rising. Just be aware that this is normal and it's nothing to worry about. The pH out of my tap is around 7.5, it drops to 6.0 because of the fish I've got, plus I have got wood in my tanks. Remember that when you do water changes, your pH will change as well.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• w66
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

w66 replied the topic: Re:PH Question

Hi,
Thanks for answering my question, I know that i'm risking becoming a pest, but the complete situation with my tank is-size 280 litres [dont know whether you go by U.S or imperial gallons] 1500L per hour cannister filter containing filter wool, charcoal, ceramic balls, and sponge, submersible sponge filter, heater @ 26deg.
I filled the tank with water and added chlorine & ammonia eliminator three days ago, also rinsed the coloured pebbles & added them same day.
Two days ago I added Bio-Booster in recomended dose to the water.
I corrected the ph today with the recomended dose of sodium biphosphate & ph is now 7.0, Ammonia 0ppm.
My current problem is that the water has a hazy appearance, not quite milky but a light grey cloudyness, and I just noticed that the residue on the aquarium top, from the aeration bubbles misting it have left a [slightly] purple colouing from the coloured tank pebbles, I mustn't have rinsed them well enough.
Do you have any idea what is causing the cloudiness and how to deal with it?
Also, do you know if the colour from the pebbles is toxic to the fish? it is only a very small amount of colour that has built up over 3 days, you need to look very carefully from the side to even notice it.
thanks for any help, I really need it.

• PAUL
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

PAUL replied the topic: Re:PH Question

Do you have any idea what is causing the cloudiness and how to deal with it?

charcoal usually leach and increase your pH during the first water pass.
if you have fish in the newly set up tank, you have bacteria bloom.

• Verse34K
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:PH Question

there was no need to correct the pH... in fact it is not recommended because fluctuating parameters are stressful to the fish... not to mention 7.5 is fine...

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

We are here to try and endeavour to answer your questions, you won't become a pest so don't worry.

I would strongly advise you not to use any chemicals to try and alter your pH. The problem with using chemicals is it can make your tank unstable and if your pH suddenly goes off the scale you will put your fishes health at risk. If your pH is 7.5 out of your tap and you are using chemicals to reduce it to 7.0, you will have to do that every single time you do a water change. 7.5 is perfectly okay.

Now regarding the charcoal in your filter, my advice would be to remove that and not use it at all. If you are putting any kind of additives into your tank, the charcoal is going to remove them because charcoal is used to remove impurities from the water. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I'm not. I have never used charcoal and my filters, I just don't think it's necessary. The problem is, if you don't change on a regular basis, it can become saturated with impurities which can leach back into your water.

The cloudy water is more than likely caused by a bacterial bloom which has already been stated. Because you haven't got an established biological filter, free swimming bacteria start building up in your tank water. It is worth saying that this can happen in an established tank as well.

What chemicals are you using to remove the ammonia and chlorine? I know that aquarium pharmaceuticals and Seachem manufacture some chemicals that neutralise toxins. Some of them don't actually remove the ammonia, they convert it into a non-toxic form so you will still get an ammonia reading.

• w66
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

My mistake about the ph correction, but I have no fish in the tank yet, so any hints on the haze? [even though its only been 3 days should I do a water change incase its the charcoal?], and also, does anyone know if any residual colour from the gravel can harm the fish?
thanks.

• PAUL
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

PAUL replied the topic: Re:PH Question

w66 wrote:

My mistake about the ph correction, but I have no fish in the tank yet, so any hints on the haze? [even though its only been 3 days should I do a water change incase its the charcoal?], and also, does anyone know if any residual colour from the gravel can harm the fish?
thanks.

if the color of the gravel is natural, there would be no problem, otherwise, no one could ever tell except the one who put color in them.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

If you haven't got any fish in your tank yet, there's no point in adding chemicals to remove ammonia because there won't be any ammonia in there.

Don't put any Oscars in your tank until it is cycled properly. Get yourself a load of guppies or tetras. It's a little bit horrible to say, but you really want to cycle the tank with fish that you don't mind losing. Remember that during the cycling period, you are exposing your fish to very dangerous toxins for quite a long period of time. It's quite common to lose a few fish during this period, for that reason, you don't want to use Oscars to cycle the tank. Oscars aren't the hardiest of fish and don't do well in poor water conditions. If they don't die during the cycle process, they can develop diseases later on in life.

Even when your tank is cycled, adding too many fish at once can cause ammonia or nitrite spikes because the biological filter is new. So don't go out and buy a huge Oscar because that may be too much for the biological filter to handle straight away, get yourself one or two babies then you should be okay.

• w66
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

The product I used to remove the ammonia & chlorine is called A.C.E ammonia chlorine eliminator.
It doesnt list the ingredients, just says- eliminates ammonia,chlorine and chloramine.
if I put some fish like guppies or tetras, should I change out some of the water to help get rid of the haze? [and when should I put them in, now?]
Also, if I remove the charcoal, what should I replace it with, something like those plasic bio-balls or something else?
thanks.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds