need cycling help

• w66
  • w66's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

w66 created the topic: need cycling help

Hi,
after contacting the coloured pebble manufacturer, I was told that if the dye leaches from the pebbles even in small amounts, they have had "problems" they are refunding the pebble cost [big deal].
so I have had to completely start again,I drained the tank and removed the pebbles,cleaned the filters and refilled the tank with fresh water and replaced the pebbles with whats meant to be crushed coral, but looks like very fine crushed sea shells, either way, no artificial colour.
Any help would be apreciated, (1) do I use the chlorine remover again, or should I let the tap water age on its own? (2)do I add the bio-booster again, or just add fish, or both?
(3) if I add fish, should I go with tetras/guppies or goldfish, because of there bigger size and output? or are goldfish to dirty? and if I use the small fish, what sort of numbers? and how soon do I install them?
280 litre tank, 1500ltrs per hour cannister filter, in tank submersible filter, heater @ 26deg.
thanks very much for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:need cycling help

Remember that you need to wait until the tank water is the correct temperature for the fish you're going to be keeping, in your case, tropical fish. So you really want your water between 24 and 28°C.

I would use a water conditioner to remove chlorine, it's safer in the long run. Find out if it is crushed coral you are using. This is very important because crushed coral is used to raise PH. If you're keeping South American fish like Oscars, your pH should be more on the low side, between 6.0 and 7.0 is great.

Guppies are fairly cheap, you could go with some of those,Maybe 10 to start with? after all, they're not very big. I wouldn't use cold water fish. I have never used bio booster before, I have used other similar products though. Yes, use this product if you got it but don't be fooled into thinking that your tank will be cycled within a few days, however it should help you quite a lot, I found that it did help cycle of 20 gallon tank I had last year.

Anyway, I'm sure someone else will chime in with some more advice for you

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds