Help with my water test

• Marshal
  • Marshal's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 41

Marshal created the topic: Help with my water test

I've always used Nutrafin test kit as that is readily available as no shops locally seem to sell API test kit. My Nutrafin kit is going to be out of date in the summer so I thought I'd get an API kit as everyone recommends them.

Because I'm so colour blind I rely on my wife a lot to tell me what the readings are.

This is my Nutrafin test. Which the wife says is about 10.

This is my API test. Which the wife says is about 40.

This is from the same water & tests done seconds apart. Do you agree with my wifes readings? Any help suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong, I know Nitrate test can be tricky to get right but I'm sure I'm doing it correctly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Help with my water test

I know what you mean about those nitrate testing kits.I don't think colourblindness really comes into it, can't you see the difference in shades? I'm also colourblind (red/green apparently) and I don't have a problem with the tests. Having said that, because there is often very little difference between the readings it is difficult to determine exactly how much nitrate there is. I would say that probably around 20/30, but definitely no higher than 40 so nothing to worry about. A bit of advice, check the readings out in daylight as you can often see the colours a lot better rather than trying to do it in a room that maybe isn't lit that well.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Best81

• Marshal
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Marshal replied the topic: Help with my water test

I know what your saying that I should be able to see shade difference but I'm that paranoid about not seeing colours correctly (it was kind of beaten into me as a kid I was stupid because I couldn't see colours correctly)

If the reading as you say is about 20 to 30 (and I agree, wife said a bit higher at 40) then how do I cope with Nitrates in my tank as this was straight out of the tap!

• Marshal
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

These are the results from the tank.

Nutrafin

API

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Help with my water test

If at all possible I would like for you to test again. This time give the second bottle for the Nitrate test a really good shaking for about 2 minutes or so.
A lot of times the chemicals settle on the bottom and make for inacurate tests.
Especially if the test bottles have been sitting for a while. And do make sure to follow the instructions closely. Make sure you shake it for the required minute after adding both bottles and do look after 5 minutes since the test will become darker as time passes.
Take picks of both your tap and tank water right after the 5 minutes and post again.
And as Penn pointed out...the colors are so close in shade that sometimes it is incredibly hard to tell exactly what the levels are. I sometimes ask my husband for a second oppinion.

• Marshal
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

I did the test a couple of times & results were the same. I did read somewhere to bang the bottle as well so I did & believe me it was as mixed as much as it could be, I wanted to make no mistake on mixing the chemicals enough.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

There shouldnt be that big of a difference between the Nutrafin and API test.
and having Nitrates that high coming out of your tap is odd as well. I personally havent heard of Nitrates higher then 20ppm out of the tap.
Just to make sure...when you tested the tank it wasnt shortly after you fed them , was it ?
I am not sure what all can be done to lower the Nitrates if they come out of your tap this high aside from putting plants into the tank.
Maybe someone else will have some more input on this.

• Marshal
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Firestorm8215 wrote: Just to make sure...when you tested the tank it wasnt shortly after you fed them , was it ?

Opposite, just before :)

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I wish I could help more , but at this point I am honestly at a loss.
I dont understand the big difference in results between the two tests and Nitrates this high out of the tap. I hope someone else can give you some ideas on how to lower them. Again...I think adding plants to the tank or perhaps putting together a small sump that contains plants may help...but thats all I got. Sorry.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Help with my water test

In the UK is not is uncommon to have nitrates higher than 20ppm out of the tap.

With the nutrafin being so close to the expiration date, it might not be working as well as it should.

You've got me interested though. I may purchase a nutrafin and seachem nitrate test to run some comparisons

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds