Help with my water test

• Marshal
  • Marshal's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 41

Marshal replied the topic: Help with my water test

I don't like adding things that are unnecessary particularly 'liquid' into my tank water. I've had a quick look at Nitrate removal products & found this which I think I'd be happier trying rather than a liquid form but obviously open to suggestions from those more in the know.

Fluval Nitrate Remover

Obviously it's better to get nitrate as low as possible so I guess I should try something but again looking for info from people more knowledgeable on the use of these type of products.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Help with my water test

Hi,

I have high nitrates coming out of my tap. One of the main reasons for high nitrates is you location, specifically proximity to farmland or water treatment plants. I have both, water is near 40ppm coming out of the tap and apprently fit for human consumption.......

The first time I filled my tank for cycling I filled the entire tank with bought water about 17p per 2liters. This was free of nitrates for about a week. Then it began to rise very quickly even before I started adding the ammonia.

Since then I have found a couple of soloutions, which when put together make the nitrates managable. Starting with the simple and natural.

Firstly my tank is slightly understocked only a sev and an oscar in a 150 US gal tank. This reduces the amount of ammonia being produced and therefore nitrates.

I limit my feeding. If there is alot of poo and increase in nitrates I will cut back. If theres little poo and the fish are becoming slightly aggressive when feeding I increase the feed, eventually you find a good balance.

I use RO water; which wastes approx two thirds of the amount you put into the system. The waste water however is very high in nitrates and excellant for the garden. Water bills are a tad pricey but because the water is 100% clean I can do smaller changes. It also means I do not need to spend money on water conditioner.

Finally I use Seachem purigen.

www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Purigen.html

This stuff is also available in bags. I put one bag inside my filter amoungst my wool layer. A couple of bags will remove all nitrates all the time (depending on the size of your tank), but you still need to do changes and it can be expensive stuff. So I just use one bag. The instructions indicate that the bag can be re-used by washing it in bleach, but I prefer to simply buy a new bag every few months.

I have never had HITH or any indications of such and my fish are in very good condition if I do say so myself, despite the lack of minerals that the RO takes out. I am going to start testing minerals and checking levels very soon.

I used lucky bamboo for a while, but if found it died off relativley quickly. I suspect this was due to the bamboo that I bought was poor quality. It is also likley due to the lack of minerals in the water. I am intending on trying bamboo again at a later date.

• Marshal
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

How often does the Seachem Purigen last before it needs to be regenerated? My concern being that I have to open up my filter every week. If it's often the first thing that springs to mind is to use a second smaller filter that is easier to move around just for this purpose rather than putting it in my FX5 that is jammed in a cupboard and a pain to move.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Help with my water test

Get an HOB for the purigen.

I dont rely on my Purigen alone so I will only change it when I absoloutly need to. I put it in last autum I think so its probably due a change. I have just moved house so Im going to let my cycle settle down a bit first.

I highly doubt you will need to open up your filter every week, but it depends on how you maintain your tank.

If you rely more heavily on the purigen to control your nitrates then you will need to replace it more often. Things like RO water, frequent changes, plants, restricted feeding will increase the life of your purigen bag.

Personally I swill out my filter once every two or three months anyway and I am yet to witness a mini cycle.

If you want to change it less often just put more bags in. It has instructions telling you ml of purigen to water. Mine is slightly lower than recomendation, so I should have to change it more often; however all the other things I do counteracts that. It very much depends on how dirty your tank/fish are, how big your tank is and much purigen you use.

A HOB is a good idea, but not neccasary; means youd get more airflow over the purigen which would make it more effective, but potentially run out quicker. An additional back up filter is always a good idea.

I think I will try this in the near future.

Sos,

What are you doing to replace the minerals from RO water?

At the moment Rocksor, nothing. I know thats going to make alot of people here angry and I am very sorry for this. That said my fish are in very good condition and they are yet to have any illnesses and yes I understand that just means ive been lucky thus far.

I intend to start testing for kh and gh and find substitues asap. I have heard of people mixing normal tap water in, but I think that kinda defeats the point of RO. I will do my research and find out whats best. My oscar has just tipped 8" I bought him just under a year ago at about 1.5". So his growth doesnt seem to have been affected to much. The Sev is about 1.5" smaller.

So has your GH and KH gone down practically to 0? Or do you mix fresh tap water with the RO water when doing water changes?

I expect my kh and gh is practically at 0. I do not know because i do not have test kits. No i do not mix anything with the ro water.

• Marshal
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

I've ordered some Purigen. I can't really see how/where I can put a HOB filter as I don't have space because of the tank bracing & I would have to cut the hood about as well so I have an old internal filter that I'm going to use for a bit of a test first.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds