Safe vs Prime.

• Elisar
  • Elisar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Elisar created the topic: Safe vs Prime.

In my short 2 days here on the forum I've notice the majority of people use prime, I was just curious as to why, personally I've never used it so can't judge it but when I first got into the hobby I started off using a liquid water conditioner and it wasn't great In terms of costs, I found the bottle cost me about £10 and lasted me around about a month, this wasn't the greatest brand though. I found seachem safe and it's great, it's £20 a bottle and lasts me about 10 months and I haven't had a single water problem since I started using it 2 years ago so Im most likely going to stick to it, but as most of you are more experience than I am I was just really curious as to why you use prime and whether I should use prime instead as I've always wanted to try it :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kjkramer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My OCD nature makes my fish happy :-)
  • Thank you received: 28

kjkramer replied the topic: Safe vs Prime.

I went from API to Prime this week because JasonR did a lot of research on them and feels Prime is the best and I trust his shit without question. ;)

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Safe vs Prime.

Prime is the liquid version of safe, both are great conditioners safe is a little more concentrated. For most people prime is good but if you have alot of or large tanks safe is the most cost effective, i use safe

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: Safe vs Prime.

Prime is more convenient for me to use because one capfull treats my entire 55 gallon tank. I use API on my 20 gallon tank because its easier for me to measure out.

• Elisar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Elisar replied the topic: Safe vs Prime.

Oh I see, well I'll stick to safe then, thanks.

• kjkramer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My OCD nature makes my fish happy :-)
  • Thank you received: 28

kjkramer replied the topic: Safe vs Prime.

Isn't prime cheap? I got 250ml for like $10. I use 10ml (convenient two capfuls) a week doing 75%-80 WC on my 125 gallon tank. It will last 25 weeks at a cost of like .40 cents a week. I guess if you have aquariums totaling thousands of gallons savings might add up? Just wondering how much cheaper Safe is? I am open to savings always. :)

• Elisar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Elisar replied the topic: Safe vs Prime.

Where I live a 500ml bottle of prime is £20, about $28 I guess give or take, I can also get a 250g bottle of safe Which I use twice or 3 times a week on my 55gallon and once a week on my 160 gallon, this costs me £18 about $24 again give or take and will last me almost for a full year, but when I was using liquid conditioners it was costing me about £10 a month so over the total 12 months saved me about £100 so it does add up over time and that's money I can put to getting my next upgraded tank :) :)

• Thank you received: 2

DC5DREWSKY replied the topic: Safe vs Prime.

Don't wanna jack your thread...but I'm about to run out of prime and was debating if I should get safe or prime again. If safe lasts longer than prime I might just end up getting that. Does safe come with a measuring cup or something since it's powder? Not sure how to use it on my 125 with my weekly 80% WC.

• Thank you received: 1

Mattehx replied the topic: Safe vs Prime.

Just keep in mind that Safe does not have stabilizers like Prime to keep it stable in liquid form. This only matters if you dechlorinate your water and store it for later use. Safe is more cost effective than Prime though which is why many people use it.

• Thank you received: 8

Foggyfogg 27 replied the topic: Safe vs Prime.

As far as cost I'm currently switching from prime to safe. Prime goes way to fast once your tanks get bigger. All you need is spoon measuments to measure it. Getting almost a gallon of the stuff for $40 today and by what I have read that will last me more thank a year in my current tanks, even with twice weekly 50% changes. I'm switching based off my advice from Rok who is like Jason definatly knows his stuff inside and out those are 2 of the people I never question on this site. I'm sure they both will chime in at some point.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds