Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

• Rocksor
  • Rocksor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 877

Rocksor created the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Topic by Neil (RD.) on MFK

Basically sludge removers have other benefits, decreasing pathogenic bacteria and reduction of cyanobacteria/algae in the aquarium. But you don't have to buy the expensive aquarium version which are marketed as sludge removers or pro-biotics in fish food. It's the same bacteria used for septic tank maintenance, and you roughly spend about $1/month.

Using the powder form

For those in the US - RID-X, Earthworm Septic. Bio-Clean Drain Septic Bacteria

For those in Canada - Septobac

Make sure that you read the labels and it does not contain perfumes or suftancs; and marketed as bio-degradeable.

www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?536531-The-Use-of-Probiotics-in-Aquaculture

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

That's very intriguing I'll read through that a little more throughly when i get home

Are you planning on giving this a try Rock?

• Rocksor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Rocksor replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

yeah, because it means that I open up my canister less often (every 4 months).

• kjkramer
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My OCD nature makes my fish happy :-)
  • Thank you received: 28

kjkramer replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Give us an update after you try it Rocksor. Please. B)

• Rocksor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Rocksor replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Already bought the Earthworm Septic.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

I mean sounds very interesting ... I will be excited to see what you say in 2-3 mts about it ... I might not mind using something like this especially in some harder to reach areas of my sump That I just cant get to

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Sorry I'm late to the party on this....having WIFI issues @ home....Comcast sucks... :pinch:

This is my thoughts on these products for use in home aquaria....step up your tank maintenance & there won't be sludge. I don't have any in my tanks, but, then again, I'm a WC nut ;) ....I also don't know how comfortable I would be putting these substances in my aquariums...I do know that "sludge removers" are like those "bacteria-in-a-bottle" products, just another gimmick designed to get money out of your pocket. :pinch:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

I think my concern would be if there has been any study done on the possible long term effect on the fish in the tank when using that product.

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

this sounds like a great way to clear out the intake and outlet tube of the filters. other than that, gravelvacs will do the job, or you can get some live plants and they use the harmful content of the sludge as food :)

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Rocksor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Firestorm8215 wrote: I think my concern would be if there has been any study done on the possible long term effect on the fish in the tank when using that product.

Notice in the link these manufacturers uses the same bacteria for fish farms, ponds, and waste management.

This is not something new. You'll find that people with koi ponds have been using it since 2005.

aquaticbioscience.com/Aquaculture-Main.htm

organicearthsolutionsllc.com/blog/?m=201301

More info

wateralchemy.blogspot.ca/2012/03/probioticbeneficial-bacteria-for.html

www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?536531-The-Use-of-Probiotics-in-Aquaculture/page4

Aclockworkorange said,

I personally don't even dissolve this stuff first, I just dump it in. I'm using 1 tablespoon per 50 gallons. I turn off my UVs for a couple days after I dose.
It does reduce waste, it also really makes the water clear (even clearer than my UVs do normally), and reduces the brown algae I normally get

Aquanero said,

While I agree with Jeff's disclaimer, I can say I've used Earthworm on a tank that houses wild cought Altum Angelfish (that statement right there speaks volums to me) and they have not shown any ill effects over the last few months. All these products we are using from Europe, Canada, and the east to west cost of the United States are all basicly the same thing. This is not "new" it's just that we are using non aquarium/pond specific products that are way over priced and have discovered a common houshold product that does a better job and works wonders for pennies. This should IMO be embraced by the aquatic community.

RD. said,

And ShadowStryder ......... I have a friend in town that has also been using the same product as I have for the past few months (Septobac), and he keeps Leo rays, Asian aros, dats, etc and has had no issues with any of his fish. He also has numerous wild caught fancy plecos in his tanks.

He has several $K invested in just his Asian aros.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds