Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

OK, well, good for them, it's their tanks, & they can do whatever works for them......but I already have tube cleaners & a Python, & I'm not afraid to use them. ;) Whatever they use still isn't cheaper or more effective than a can of elbow grease & frequent WC's, which I find far more effective than any additive. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rocksor
  • Rocksor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Sorry I'm late to the party on this....having WIFI issues @ home....Comcast sucks... :pinch:

This is my thoughts on these products for use in home aquaria....step up your tank maintenance & there won't be sludge. I don't have any in my tanks, but, then again, I'm a WC nut ;) ....I also don't know how comfortable I would be putting these substances in my aquariums...I do know that "sludge removers" are like those "bacteria-in-a-bottle" products, just another gimmick designed to get money out of your pocket. :pinch:

Unfortunately, there are no regulation of those products, hence why there are unreliable.

In fact, cultures taken from those bottles have some contamination.

www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/W08-015?journalCode=cjm

• Rocksor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Rocksor replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Darth Nandopsis wrote: OK, well, good for them, it's their tanks, & they can do whatever works for them......but I already have tube cleaners & a Python, & I'm not afraid to use them. ;) Whatever they use still isn't cheaper or more effective than a can of elbow grease & frequent WC's, which I find far more effective than any additive. B)

$1 a month is pretty cheap, and with big 150g+ tanks, 75% water change everyday gets more expensive over the course of the month.

Not saying to change what you do, but there are other benefits besides reducing sludge.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

I can def see the benefits of this when running big or multiple big systems for sure. I'm running 650 gallons worth of tanks so I won't be changing water daily that's for sure. If something like this is safe and keeps my tanks healthier overall with my regular maintenance than why not

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Just MPO fellas.....I am not a fan of adding anything to the water column if I don't have to. And I am running a bunch of smaller tanks, the biggest being 75GL right now.....

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Rocksor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Just to be clear, I'm not telling folks that you can reduce water changes by using this product. It is a supplement to current fishkeeping husbandry.

RD. who is a proponent of this, understocks his aquarium, feeds his fish much less than the average fishkeeping person, and uses plants like golden porthos in his aquarium's filtration.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Yeah and that is exactly how I would use it, just as a supplement to my current maintenance regime

• Rocksor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

After about 1 month of using powder earthworm septic waste treatment (works just like the powder form or Rid-x), I have noticed a reduction of sludge within the tubes of my canister filters by at least one third. Typically, the green tubes are a light brown color continuously. Now the the sludge is broken up into spots about the size of a quarter. I don't ever clean those tubes since its a pain to remove.

Dosing: old tank water (or tap water treated with water conditioner) in a pitcher with 1 tablespoon per 60 gallons (1 teaspoon per 20 gallons) of powder septic treatment. Stir every hour, and pour into tank after 4-6 hours. Don't pour the solid matter into the tank. Just the water with the bacteria.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Would there've any benefits of using it if you only run HOBs ? No changes in your fish ?
I would like to give it a go in my 40G , but I am still not convinced that something that goes into a septic tank won't have an affect on my fish...

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

this would be great for my goldfish tank as those really are heavy polluters and my HOB needs to be cleaned every 3 days (fluval C4) i know this is because of the finer sponge running dirty when one of the fish decides to poo.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds