Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

• Rocksor
  • Rocksor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Firestorm8215 wrote: Would there've any benefits of using it if you only run HOBs ? No changes in your fish ?
I would like to give it a go in my 40G , but I am still not convinced that something that goes into a septic tank won't have an affect on my fish...

Its just bacteria that eat waste and other organics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

I have been quietly running a test on this with two 150 gallon tanks with fx5 filters. I will post pics in a bit but the tank with Ridx has half the gunk on the sponges in a week. It s clearly visible . The water tests are nearly identical for two tanks with roughly equal stocking both have 6 8" zonatus. I will put up the pics when I open the filters in a bit.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Rocksor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Rocksor replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Good deal....less brown gunk build up in the filters, less maintenance on the filters, and more flow. I would bet that the ceramic bio-media pores are getting cleaned out as well.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

bassetman replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Ok here it is straight off the ipad.

• Rocksor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

You can't hide results like that. It's pretty obvious that it's working.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Everything was as equal as I could make it. I had no bias in the topic .i simply did not know what I would get. Not sure if I will use this or not. Water quality is roughly the same. You do have a little margin for skipping a maintenance...and I feel somewhat better mechanical filtering due to better flw. My two cents feel free to try it. I will continue for a year.on the test.

• Thank you received: 4

poelinca replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Ok, i got mine today. Doing a WC now and will add as per instruction. Will keep you guys posted

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

I am still continuing my test no changes still about half the gunk and the hoses stay clean.

• Thank you received: 4

poelinca replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

@basse any info about less glass cleaning ?

1 day in, the water looks way more clear than it used to ( just like after a WC ). Mine was Eparcyl powder, problem is it didn't disolved completely and it settled down on the plants and driftwood witch look a bit white, will have to clean them. Fish seam fine. Still have slight biofilm at the top of the water, maybe it will clear in a few days :)

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Next time mix the powder in a container and the let it sit until it is clear and pour the liquid in. As for the glass , I do not know....I am not famous for cleaning the glass but it stays pretty clean by its self. The only side that is trouble is an end that gets sun on it for a couple hours a day. The filters and hoses do stay much cleaner I could cut the maintenance on those filters in half........all tank levels are normal. I just spoon the Rid-X into the pre filter of the sump. The carrier for the bacteria is just wheat bran so no worries there.

The following user(s) said Thank You: poelinca

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds