Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

interesting, think i am about sold! gonna give it a shot!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rocksor
  • Rocksor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

the API test kit is not granular enough for me to notice a nitrate spike. It might happen, but its hard to tell between 10ppm - 30ppm. I don't have a habit of letting it get to far above 20ppm.

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

thought just accured me, my wife has several different kinds of alga eaters, would this effect there ready and avaluble food source? I do feed chips but some just ignore it and rasp on everything. the bristnose and common do the chip thing. the rest, of which are 3 do not touch them or any vegies i put in. its her 75g glow tank, lotsa fishies.

for my Oscar tank no worries. 8" common loves his chips and zucchini.

• Rocksor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Rocksor replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Are you certain that they are only eating algae rather than the driftwood? is the whole tank carpeted with it?

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

lots of hard plastic plants. they are always all over them, just a rasping away. I am sure they are also eating the left over fish food also, no the tank is not, it is vacuum day as poop streamers are on everything atm, can,nt see it till you look real hard or move them, was just curious if it did anything to the alga, they have all been in the tank well over 3 months, they not starving.

fish count at around 35. mix of barbs, cardinals and tetras. all bio engineered for lotsa glow tank colors. blue, yellow green red, bla bla bla, again wife's glow tank. I just clean and feed. she chooses what goes in accept for the bristlenose , he will be moving once he gets past 4"

• Rocksor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

You'll find out in a month. But I doubt with that much fish that it would reduce the algae by that much. Most of the effect that I have seen is in the filters.

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

instead of using a sceptic tank treatment powder i picked up something similar to keep buildups of debris out of ponds at my local aquarium club, 6 euro for a litre and that can treat 10k litre of tanks so i'm good for my 1k litre combined for almost a year as the instructions say 100ml per 1000l monthly.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Thank you received: 4

poelinca replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

First impressions, water is more clear. Tank glass looks the same, still needs a good scrub. Water smells a bit funny, like peewee lol. Fish seam to like the cleaner water and the most important thing is that debris and poop does not tend to stick to the sand anymore, it's way more easier to vacuum now.

I'm going to go a full month with this stuff, but i don't think i'll be able to stick with the funny smell long term, might have to find some other producer that distributes stuff like this around.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

I have only noticed the different odor when opening the canister. Not a bad smell just a litter"sweeter" than normal canister smell. Fish poop on the tank bottom breaks down in a day to just gunk. It vacs right up much easier than before. The biggest difference is in the tubing and the pump impellers the stay pristinely clean. Canister maintenance is now based on the pads restricting flow.....I could go a long time on he cleanings but I still take a look every Saturday. I am toying with seeing how it works on the tanks with sump systems.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Thank you received: 4

poelinca replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

You don't happen to have a large pleco who eats all the driftwood in the tank, one full medium zucchini every 24 hours ... do you ? Well i do and i can't see a difference in his poop being broken down faster, the poop of the rest of the fish i rarely see anyways lol

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds