Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Rocksor wrote: After about 1 month of using powder earthworm septic waste treatment (works just like the powder form or Rid-x), I have noticed a reduction of sludge within the tubes of my canister filters by at least one third. Typically, the green tubes are a light brown color continuously. Now the the sludge is broken up into spots about the size of a quarter. I don't ever clean those tubes since its a pain to remove.

Dosing: old tank water (or tap water treated with water conditioner) in a pitcher with 1 tablespoon per 60 gallons (1 teaspoon per 20 gallons) of powder septic treatment. Stir every hour, and pour into tank after 4-6 hours. Don't pour the solid matter into the tank. Just the water with the bacteria.

Just noticed this thread.

So, Rocksor, do you still think this is a good dosing, and, if so, how often should I dose?

I have a 150 gal tank, so, say 2.5 tablespoons of Rid-X powder mixed as you indicated?

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

JonJon82 replied the topic: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

Just started reading the thread. Can this bacteria be used by people who choose not to do a fishless cycle to at least help in the removal of toxic waste?

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Re: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

probiotics wont remove ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates they are a bacteria that will break down solid waste and sludge in filters and substrates

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Re:Re: Discussion on Using Probiotics for a Cleaner Aquarium

at some point i had used probiotics microorganism but not in fish tank.
i had used it in eliminating bad odor in the garbage chute of the building where i work,
and in the improvement of waste water before disposing it to the sewer....

i haven't thought of that idea using it in cycling the fish tank...
perhaps i will try to some experiment about it in the near future...
thought we are now preoccupied with aquaponics

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds