Water is cloudy but readings say normal

• mishka
  • mishka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

mishka created the topic: Water is cloudy but readings say normal

Hi guys, this 150g has been quite a handful. I just did my first major WC along with siphoning the gravel last night. My water though is extremely cloudy, and my ammonia is at 0, nitrite is at 0, and my nitrate is sitting around 15-20 ppm, so I can't understand why my water is so foggy and cloudy, on that side note, my tiger O has been sulking at the bottom the past day and I noticed a tiny little fuzzy white spot on him, and I have seen that before but it always goes away by the next day, so I didn't look further into it thinking it was just a scale, but I am concerned about him, he was fine last night. Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Water is cloudy but readings say normal

Cheap water conditioner may be the cause. Use Seachem Prime or kordon amquel or tetra aquaplus.

Sometimes too much waste or uneaten food in the substrate that is stirred up during the cleaning will lead to an explosion of heterotrophic bacteria that eat the waste. This can be fixed with a water change.

• mishka
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

mishka replied the topic: Water is cloudy but readings say normal

I do use Seachem prime :) I love it, I also use the Seachem prime clarity for cloudy water, so I am surprised as to why it is still cloudy. I guess I'll do another big WC until my water clears up, thanks :)

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: Water is cloudy but readings say normal

When was the last time you cleaned the filters out? Sometimes if they are pretty dirty it can also cause cloudy water. My canister filter taught me that one, lol.

• mishka
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Well my two HoB filters were changed 3 weeks ago while they were still cycling my old tank, my canister is brand new so it is 1 week old, I figured putting two filters in with bacteria from my old tank would help with the water since I have a brand new canister, I always change my filters about once a month.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Water is cloudy but readings say normal

No need to change filters unless they are coming apart. Just rinse them once a month in discarded tank water. If you are still using the HOBs buy a bag of pillow floss and add some to your HOB. See if that helps pick up the smaller particles.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Water is cloudy but readings say normal

could there be any uneaten food somewhere in the tank? This seems like a bacteria bloom to me - especially if you do a water change and the cloudy is back immediately after (or within the next day or so).

Could your two hobs have slightly too young filter media at this stage? When you change your filter, what do you do?

The new cannister could also be the cause, settling in to the rhythm of your tank.

Your high nitrates soon after a water change is more worrisome, as is your fish not feeling well - what's your water temp?

And, with apologies, are you sure you shook that nitrate test properly?

• mishka
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

yes, I shook bottle #2 for 1 minute and then shook the test tube for 30 seconds like it says, no matter what tank I have I have always seem to have a nitrate issue and I have no clue why.

I have two Tetra Whisper EX70 filters that hob. A fluval 406 canister and a powerhead to cycle the water. Is this not enough? When starting new tanks, cloudiness has always been a common thing for me, but I figured by now it would have cleared up.

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Water is cloudy but readings say normal

Is it cloudy as soon as you put it in the tank? Maybe that's how it's coming from the tap.
Every now and then my water looks less than crystal clear and I find there's a really light film on the glass like hard water deposits which is easily cleaned off with the magnet cleaner, you sure it's not that?

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• mishka
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

No it's clear as soon as I put it in the tank, I have also tested my tap water and all levels are at 0. I do have a Magifloat or whatever, the magnet cleaner, I clean it every day because I do notice that white film you are talking about, it's a slimy film.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds