Out of curiosity

• black,orangeoscar
  • black,orangeoscar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

black,orangeoscar created the topic: Out of curiosity

So we all know the bare minimum for an oscar is 55 gallons... and the general rule for oscar keeping is 50 percent water change a week.

If some one were to double there water volume to 110 gallon it would take twice as long for the water quality to go bad. Therefore would you be able to do only a 25 percent water change a week or 50 percent every 2 weeks?

And in the original tank lets say the filter was able to retain water quality, Y would the person need to upgrade their filter given the original filter was able to control the bio-load of the fish originally?

(Im not planning on doing any of this these are just hypotheticals)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Out of curiosity

If the only thing you changed was the size of the tank and the oscar was already at full size, then yes to both questions, with the caveat that changing that amount of water kept the nitrates below 20ppm.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Out of curiosity

Since joining this site I have really heeded the advice of the very experienced keepers re water changes. I try to get 100% weekly in all my tanks(2x 50%) and so far I believe it is the key to my success healthy fish wise. As for filtration, its the tank getting filtered not the fish. So moving from 55 to 110 will obviously require twice the filter

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Suprd71 wrote: So moving from 55 to 110 will obviously require twice the filter

Filters are rated on the assumption that you come close to fully stocking the tank. For instance, if you dramatically understock the tank, then getting an Fluval 406 for a 110g that has 1 betta, is not necessary.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Out of curiosity

There are a lot of variables when it comes to how much water you need to change including feeding regimine, substrate cleanliness, filter cleanliness and so on. Like Rock said maintaining nitrates of 20 ppm or lower is what you want to accomplish and wwater change amount and frequency will depend on how you keep your tank.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Out of curiosity

Interesting discussion.

As some of you may remember from my previous posts, I am in the process of setting up my first oscar tank. It is 150 gallon and 5 feet long. My original plan was two oscars, six SDs, and a pleco. I was going to filter this with a Rena XP4 cannister, and AQ110 HOB. Well, in an effort to hopefully cut the partial water changes to once a week, rather than twice a week, I've changed the stocking plan to one oscar, one convict, and eight SDs (no pleco).

I'm now considering purchasing a 75 gallon tank for a community tank. :-) Since I've considerably reduced the proposed bioload of the oscar tank, I wonder if the XP4 alone will be enough? This would allow me to use the AQ110 in the community tank. For the community tank, I'm thinking angels or discus (or perhaps some good sized gouramis) for "centerpiece" fish, a big school of some sort of tetra, and some coreys.

Just thinking out loud here.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Out of curiosity

I would like to know that as well. My xp4 is currently running in my 90 while I seed a couple of AC 110's. But I would really like to use it on my 135, so I could free up an FX5. How bout you give it a try and report on how it does?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Easy way to tell if you have enough filtration...

Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates above 1ppm

Every day

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Out of curiosity

I believe I will (just try using the XP4 alone on the 150), but it may be a while before I can give any meaningful results, since I will be purchasing all the fish as babys/juveniles. I imagine it will take several months to a year before they reach their full "pooping" potential. ;-)

Edit: Well, Nina makes a very good point. The XP4 + the AQ110 may be overkill for my most recent stocking plan, but it's nice to have two filters in the event of a failure.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Out of curiosity

The thing with having only one filter is what do you do when it fails?

While it may do the job of providing enough biomedia surface area, it's a bit of a worry for me personally that all of that biomedia could be lost if something goes wrong, which has you with a cycling tank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goranothos

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds