chloramine

• richardtf
  • richardtf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

richardtf created the topic: chloramine

, i ve been having some problem with my community tank i cant get a zero ammonia reading its always 0.25ppm, my tank has been running for 3 months now. i tested my tap water for ammonia and i got a 1.0ppm reading. What do i do now? :)

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: chloramine

Add filtration so it can process the additional Ammonia coming out of your tap. What you have seem to be processing it quite well , considering you have 1.0 ppm coming in during water changes and still only have it 0.25ppm. I am thinking that possibly adding just a small HOB will do the trick.
Rocksor may have some other ideas.

• richardtf
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

richardtf replied the topic: chloramine

Thanks sandra! :)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: chloramine

How big is your aquarium and how many fish have you got in it? An aquarium with too many fish could well exhibit poor water conditions. Have another thing to look at is your filtration, have you been cleaning your media on a regular basis, maybe under tap water?, Or have even letting it dry out at all? It would probably be a good idea to check your tap water as well, see what that is doing. It shouldn't have ammonia in it, but sometimes people find it does. How much food do you put in the tank each day, is there any left over that stays in the tank?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: chloramine

I would also call someone at whoever takes care of the water supply is and see if its even legal for them to have a level that high. Generally there is a limit of how much Ammonia can be in the water , if any at all.

• richardtf
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

OFL wrote: How big is your aquarium and how many fish have you got in it? An aquarium with too many fish could well exhibit poor water conditions. Have another thing to look at is your filtration, have you been cleaning your media on a regular basis, maybe under tap water?, Or have even letting it dry out at all? It would probably be a good idea to check your tap water as well, see what that is doing. It shouldn't have ammonia in it, but sometimes people find it does. How much food do you put in the tank each day, is there any left over that stays in the tank?

Its a 75gal tank with:

6 zebra danios
7 guppies
3 corys

it has several live plants, i am using seachem flourish tabs.
i have 2 emperor 400, i don't clean my media with tap water, when i am doing a WC i submerged all the media including the bio wheel in a bucket with aquarium water. I just did a WC 3 days ago (may 23)

is adding additional filter is the only solution?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: chloramine

1.0ppm ammonia as a result of chloramine is within the legal limits. Granulated activated carbon will help reduce the chloramine.

• richardtf
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Since I have a 1.0ppm ammo in my tap water I can't do 80% WC? Increasing the dosage of prime every WC would that help?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: chloramine

You don't want to overdose your tank with Prime so just stick to the allocated dosage for each gallon. If you are using prime every time you change your water them you will be neutralising any ammonia that may be present. That's not many fish for a 75 gallon aquarium, I don't quite understand why you should be having this problem. Make sure your filter is working properly.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: chloramine

you can do an 80% waterchange. Prime will lock that ammonia for up to 48 hours, which is enough time for the bacteria to consume that much ammonia.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds