fish-in cycling

• Goranothos
  • Goranothos's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: fish-in cycling

Rocksor wrote: prime only detoxifies up to 1ppm of ammonia, so if your ammonia goes over, prime won't be able to do anything over 1ppm.

Did not know that. Ok, I will test at least every other day and do WC as needed.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: fish-in cycling

I can't recommend cycling w/ the fish you have chosen, especially the cichlids(I am a proponent of fish-in cycling) I would have recommended hardy live-bearers like swordtails or platys, but just monitor the ammonia & nitrite, as this process will take 8-10 weeks to complete(that's why your nitrates are low; they are the end product of a complete cycle)& do frequent small partial WC's to keep the amm/nitrites at less than lethal levels for your fish.

Bear in mind that since you have chosen cichlids to cycle your tank, & are exposing them to elevated levels of ammonia & nitrite, they will be more susceptible to HITH/LLE later in life, & that they may not survive this process at all(nitrite is particularly toxic to fish).

If you know someone who has a long-established biological filter, perhaps he/she could give you some filter media to add to your filters to help kick-start the process.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Darth Nandopsis wrote: I can't recommend cycling w/ the fish you have chosen, especially the cichlids(I am a proponent of fish-in cycling) I would have recommended hardy live-bearers like swordtails or platys, but just monitor the ammonia & nitrite, as this process will take 8-10 weeks to complete(that's why your nitrates are low; they are the end product of a complete cycle)& do frequent small partial WC's to keep the amm/nitrites at less than lethal levels for your fish.

Bear in mind that since you have chosen cichlids to cycle your tank, & are exposing them to elevated levels of ammonia & nitrite, they will be more susceptible to HITH/LLE later in life, & that they may not survive this process at all(nitrite is particularly toxic to fish).

If you know someone who has a long-established biological filter, perhaps he/she could give you some filter media to add to your filters to help kick-start the process.

Thanks for the info. Had the fish in for three weeks now, and have yet to see an ammonia reading over 0.5 (usually it's 0.25ish). I have yet to see a nitrite reading other than 0. All my nitrate readings have been 5 to 10 (same as my tap water).

Been doing 50% WC every weekend. Doing another one as I type this.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: fish-in cycling

Here's a helpful article for ya:

www.cs.duke.edu/~narten/faq/cycling.html

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Here's a helpful article for ya:

www.cs.duke.edu/~narten/faq/cycling.html

Good article, thanks. I remember reading it before. Bookmarked it.

My tank is obviously still in the first phase of the cycle. Ammonia is slowly building up between water changes. I have yet to see a Nitrite reading, and the Nitrate is not increasing. I'll keep monitoring and look for the Ammonia to take a dip and the Nitrite to start increasing, and do water changes and continue using Prime.

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss replied the topic: fish-in cycling

There is always going to be ammonia in the water until cycled, I prefer to error on the side of to many water changes. I water test both tanks just about every day for same reason. eventually it will cycle out.

just a personnel preference i guess.

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Popss wrote: There is always going to be ammonia in the water until cycled, I prefer to error on the side of to many water changes. I water test both tanks just about every day for same reason. eventually it will cycle out.

just a personnel preference i guess.

No, I appreciate your input. :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds