water changes while using malifix

• drp237
  • drp237's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

drp237 created the topic: water changes while using malifix

I am currently treating my take with malifix, because my poor oscar has some fin rot. the instructions say that i should do a water change after the 7 days of treatment, but im wondering if I can, or should, do a water change before. I am feeling really guilty about the fit rot, ive been out of town a lot this summer and my friend has over fed him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss replied the topic: water changes while using malifix

others that know better than me will answer but WC change WC change WC change well be a large part of cure.

over feeding is bad, Oscar messy enough with out having left over food rotting in the tank.

They will want to know water perimeters, tank size, fish size and tank mates.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: water changes while using malifix

Clean water is the first step for sure, and add a real good gravel vac to that too. You can do w/c with melafix in, but you would have to re-dose the amount of new water. Also as it says on the bottle, remove the carbon from your filter(s).

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: water changes while using malifix

Clean water is THE best medicine for your fish. I would do 25% a day until the rot clears. Gravel vac the heck out of it every day. What filter or filters do you run? What is your maintenance routine?

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• drp237
  • drp237's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

drp237 replied the topic: water changes while using malifix

ive got a fluval canister filter and i do gravel vac/25% water changes every few weeks. he used to be my BF's fish but then he lost interest in fish-keeping. I don't think Andrew ever did anything other than adding water when it was low. Ive had the tank for about three months. thanks for the help, ill start doing water changes daily.

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

best thing you can do, make sure to add conditioner EI prime every water change, and dose for full tank size every time, not just the amount of water you are changing.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: water changes while using malifix

If you think you need medicine, Kordon Methylene blue works much better than melafix. Use 1 ml per gallon, and put the fish in a bath for 30 minutes with an airstone. You can also directly apply it (not near the gills) using a q-tip.

If it is only on the fins, hydrogen peroxide will also work. Use a q-tip to apply to fins.

The medication will only work if the water is clean, so make sure ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm, and nitrates are below 20ppm. Get an API freshwater master test kit if you don't have one already. Clean water is the first line in helping a fish heal.

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

rocks the man, he is one of the persons that i said knows more than me, follow what he says and all be well,, thanks rock.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds