worried that I may have killed my good bacteria

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: worried that I may have killed my good bacteria

No panic Steffi, sure you made some mistakes, but you are in the right place to make it all good. The 2 responders so far are some of our best most helpful people. Do exactly what they tell you and stay off the "web" The experts are on OFL.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Couple other items.. you have 2 11in Oscars. If they are in any tank less than 6ft and 125 gallons, you are overstocked. Your filters suggest that you have a tank thats MAYBE good for 1 big O. If your tank is any bigger than 55g, your filtration is seriously lacking, regardless of fish stock. Now you have 2 large waste producing cichlids in a presumably small tank with "dead" filters. Still no panic Stef, but you must deal with this properly and quickly.

• steffi
  • steffi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

steffi replied the topic: worried that I may have killed my good bacteria

my tank is bigger than 55 gallons its a wierd shape and I didn't buy it from pet store so Im not sure the size I know its at least a 75 to 100 gallon its much taller and wider than a regular 55 I can get some gravel or maybe even a used filter cartidge from my sister but her tank has lots of alge and big goldfish in it will it hurt my oscars

Gravel is no benefit, its just a "crap" holder. A filter cartridge will help, but you need to keep it submerged in tank water during transport. When you say your tank is weird shape, you mean like a bowfront? If you can give length, width and height, close is good, I can give you the capacity, give or take a few gals.

• steffi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

im gonna run and get the filter it's approx 4ft long 2 ft tall and 1 and half foot wide it may have been home made if it is they did a good job not really seen one before that looks like it. her filter is the aqua tech 30/60 do you know how long it might take for her bacteria to set back up in my aqua clear 70 's sponge should I get a new sponge or leave the old

Those measurements equal about your standard 90 gal tank. Way too small for 2 large Oscars, but besides that, its not the sponge in the AC70 that cultivates your bacteria, its the bag of ceramic chunks that they come with. The sponge is the mechanical portion of the filter, meaning it traps the aquarium waste. You only rinse the sponge in tank water when its dirty, usually around 20 days, but yours may need cleaning more often because as stated before, you are overstocked AND under filtered. I was assuming that you were getting a used cartridge for your Aquatech. You do have the bag of ceramics on the AC dont you?

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: worried that I may have killed my good bacteria

With some seeded media your filters wil recover in 3-4 weeks plus or minus some . Depended a lot on several factors but should be about half the time of doing a full cycle from scratch. Also you will have some bio activity right away and the bacteria spread pretty quick. With a good seed I have had full recovery in two weeks. It is much better for the fish but still means a bunch of water changes so get that API kit and get good at testing. :) hope it all works out.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• steffi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

yes I have the ceramics but I washed them too :(

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds