Stupid newb just discovered the master kit...

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Stupid newb just discovered the master kit...

Keep doing 50% water changes everyday. Another member had the same problem and was eventually able to get it down to 20ppm after 7 days or so.

A water changer like the Python No Spill No clean or Aqueon equivalent will make filling up and draining easier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dsmalex97
  • dsmalex97's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

dsmalex97 replied the topic: Stupid newb just discovered the master kit...

Firestorm8215 wrote: You are not transferring the bacteria into the water. Your bacteria mostly lives in your filter and substrate. Which is why it's pretty useless to transfer any old tank water to a new tank if upgrading.
Before you go through the trouble of taking out all the substrate I would give the bio media in your filter a rinse in some discarded tank water and see if that helps bringing down the Nitrates a bit.
But you also have to realize that in a tank that size with an Oscar and an additional fish you will always fight an uphill battle.

Alright so please clear this up for me just because I really want to understand it. So, it IS true that approx. 90% of the bacteria is living in the filter...And I know you said I could do the 100% water change, but I need to understand why or why not. Most people are telling me to do 50% water changes, but to me that might not work being that I have a smaller tank and it won't ever have a chance to get under control. Just going off of how much water I changed yesterday and not seeing any kind of result.

But going back to what I was saying. If 90% is an accurate number then I cannot see why changing ALL of the water is an issue? I understand that there is some living in the sand, and other parts of the tank. But if it's only accounting for 10% of it, then why would it matter? I still have the 90% living in the bio-media of my filter which is going to be circulated through the new water. I'm really sorry if I sound stupid, but I'm just going by what I've been reading about beneficial bacteria. But the whole "NEVER DO A 100% WATER CHANGE," thing is just not making any sense to me :blink:

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss replied the topic: Stupid newb just discovered the master kit...

you can do a 100 percent water change , i have done plenty of times before, I have filled while siphoning off at same time plenty of times. It does involve using lots of prime while doing it and filters off! I only do it when my substrate needs extensive vacuuming. I drain the tank water down to about fin level, add some prime and start refilling while vacuuming. it actually turns out to be a 150% water change or so, as it fills a little faster than it siphons. but again, adding prime as you go. It also involves having the ability to to remove as you add. i siphon and vacuum out the window and fill with a python.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Stupid newb just discovered the master kit...

The best argument I can make for not doing a 100% wc, is to avoid stressing out the fish from drastic changes in water parameters. The more water I take out of the tank the slower I refill it. Here is an example, I recently swapped a tank from a 55 to a 75, and used all the same filters and decor. In effect this is a 100% wc, after I reintroduced my fish a couple of days later my fish had ick. Which is easy to take care of, but annoying, and the fish would not have been susceptible if they were not stressed.

People are saying 50% because that is easy to do. If you can do more, then do it. Heck, if you wanted to do a 100% water change (and remove the substrate), you could.

Put the fish in a 5 gallon bucket, with old tank water. Put an air bubbler, if you dont have one, then scoop up the water from the bucket and drop it back into it every 15 minutes.

Put the bio-media in a 5 gallon bucket with old tank water, make sure it is submerged

Drain the tank, remove the substrate using a pitcher or cup with a handle.

Refill the tank, use water conditioner, stir the water and make sure it is up to the temp within a couple of degrees of the bucket with your fish.

Setup your filters on the tank, and then put the fish in.

Many of us have transferred filters to a new tank using 100% new water that has be conditioned, and never lost our cycle.

I will defer to Rock on this, he has much more experience than I do, but I would acclimate the fish before putting it in the tank by gradually adding some of the new water to the bucket before putting the fish in..

To acclimatize, drain half of the water in the bucket. and put a cup of the new tank water in the bucket every 10-15 minutes for about an hour or less. The water of your old tank and new tap water shouldn't be far off in other aspects, especially since you have done 2 50% water changes back to back already.

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss replied the topic: Stupid newb just discovered the master kit...

might just be me, strike that it is probably just me, but is this not getting some what over thought? water temp good, prime added,away you go.

Good point on the prior water changes and water parameters. dsmalx97, Rock has never steered me wrong, so there you go.

• dsmalex97
  • dsmalex97's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

dsmalex97 replied the topic: Stupid newb just discovered the master kit...

Popss wrote: might just be me, strike that it is probably just me, but is this not getting some what over thought? water temp good, prime added,away you go.

This is exactly what I was thinking. But again, I wanted to know why some said it's ok, and some not. I did it before I went to work and the tank is fine. My fish is fine too, and wanted to be fed as soon as I put him back in the tank. Not even stressed a bit. Definitely think it is being over-thought...

Checked all the parameters after I did the change and everything is good. PH is normal, nitrates are 0, nitrites are 0, and 0 amonia. So far so good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds