Pimafix flubbing Nitrate tests?

• Popss
  • Popss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss created the topic: Pimafix flubbing Nitrate tests?

I have been treating Oscar who is named Oscars tank for fungus for the pleco encase the white spots on his mouth was a fungus. I just did 2 Nitrate tests and they come up 0, I know this can not be right, last WC was 3 days ago, ammonia and nitrite checked both 0. any one know if it flubs up the nitrate test? I know test kit is good i get reading from both the 75g glow tank and the cat tank (WC on cat tank tonight little over 20ppm)

95g tank, day 3 of treating, 3 days sense last WC.

as most know between 8 and 9" Oscar

between 8 and 9" common pleco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Pimafix flubbing Nitrate tests?

I would have thought that it wouldn't, but obviously something is messing up your readings. Personally, I would just do every other day 50%+ wc and only resort to the meds if the condition got worse..(you may have already done this, if so disregard).

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss replied the topic: Pimafix flubbing Nitrate tests?

i have, they have been there for over a month now, no bigger, no smaller, no signs of any thing any ware else on either fish. wondering a calcite deposit or old scars. as the pimafix not making a def, and no signs of any fungul on any fins or on the mouth of Oscar.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Pimafix flubbing Nitrate tests?

I figured you had already gone the wc route for the problem. I have no clue about your crazy nitrate reading, hopefully some one else has some ideas.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: Pimafix flubbing Nitrate tests?

Are you shaking the snot out of bottle #2?? I like to shake it hard and bang it on the edge of the counter

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss replied the topic: Re: Pimafix flubbing Nitrate tests?

ohh yes ken, again tests are right for other 2 tanks, this why i took twice encase i did not shake it enough, i always beat on my hand and shake for a full minute.

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

whelp no matter going to do a full WC on all tanks in morning as i took tomorrow off and stop the treatment. Oscar who is named Oscar whacked himself again tonight so every other day WC schedule was going to have to happen for tank any ways. the little shit, just got him healed from last temper tantrum.

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

ok, after stopping treatment and 100% WC, Nitrate reading are where they should be 3 days later. being between 10 and 20. I can only conclude that pimafix ( a west Indian bay leaf extract) masks the nitrate reading. This in no way states that it removes or detoxifies the nitrates. just masks the results with a API master fresh water test kit.

side note: restarted treatment yesterday now that i know, Plecos mouth growths have shrunken allot and expect them to be gone with in the next few days.

has in no way effected either fish apatite or behavior tho Oscar does not like the taste it seems as when i put it in he appears to be trying to expel it with a ICK!! this taste s^&%t look on his face.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Pimafix flubbing Nitrate tests?

interesting.....put some in a bucket of water after you do a nitratetest on the bucket water. then test after adding and if nitrate reads high must be the med.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss replied the topic: Pimafix flubbing Nitrate tests?

no need for the bucket, did nitrate test just before adding meds. waiting for results to be sure now, should be about 20. but it is water change day.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds