Why PH rarely matters, and why Salt should not be used daily

• Rocksor
  • Rocksor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 877

Rocksor created the topic: Why PH rarely matters, and why Salt should not be used daily

Total dissovled solids and conductivity affect your fish more than PH.

www.tbas1.com/Exchange/The%20New%20England%2011.pdf

First of all pH means only one thing. The power of Hydrogen. It is the negative logarithm (Ed: meaning a very steep curve . . . numbers happen quickly) of the hydrogen concentration. Thus it is the measurement of the hydrogen ions in water they are non-toxic to fish in there own right. Fish that come from a low pH also come from soft waters with low hardness low TDS and low conductivity. Lake Tanganyika which has a conductivity between 606 and 700 MicroSiemens is hard with low concentrations of Calcium and high concentrations of Magnesium (see 1,2,3) and has a very high pH, higher than seawater, and is strongly buffered with an alkalinity exceeding 300 mg/l as CaC03 A fish species, from the Amazon or any rainforest, as long as the conductivity is low, then the hardness will be low and the pH will be low however, for aquarium purposes it does not matter if the pH is 6.8 or 7.8. A misinformed fact regarding pH is the term “pH shock” There is no such thing!! Many Florida fish farmers can attest that they see pH changes through out the day especially in a pond that has many plants. In the morning the water can be as low as 5 and at mid day it can go up to 7.5 this is NATURAL.

Do not use salt on a daily basis.

....when aquarium salt and other additives are added to the aquarium . . . not only does the conductivity increase but now the ions that were in balance in the natural water (tap water or water source) are completely out of balance....All aquarium additives have one thing in common, included in their products are chloride and sodium. It is the chloride ion then the sodium ion that are taken in by the freshwater fish due to there water solubility. When these ions are so numerous and are the chief cations and anions in an aquarium, the freshwater fish is under much stress osmoregulating thus spending much energy as chloride and sodium are being taken up. Freshwater fish are hyperosmotic which means that they have to maintain a higher concentration of salts in their body then the surrounding water. Then, if that fish is moved to waters with lower chloride and lower sodium and naturally a lower conductivity then it is stressed further as water naturally moves to the higher ionic concentration (4).

This is still a continual problem in some retail stores today, and is something that must be avoided at all costs Some stores and distributors add tremendous amounts of salt to there aquariums. Petco in Brandon Florida actually has a plastic container in each aquarium full of salt with a lid on that has been punched full of holes. The salt dissolves and the conductivity builds up the fish look terrible. People that I know that have purchased fish from that store have lost them within a week there maybe exceptions to that rule with very strong and hardy species that where in very good condition to begin with but why play with fire. I have checked the conductivity of the aquariums of other stores such as PetsMart along with other stores and found that the conductivity was as high as 4000 to 6000 MicroSiemens due to the addition of salt and other additives making the total dissolved solids 3840 ppm and the osmotic pressure over 38 lbs per square inch. What natural freshwater environment compares to that!?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Why PH rarely matters, and why Salt should not be used daily

PH matters for Discus when breeding, & I always drip acclimate less hardy species or expensive fish.

I've seen Petsmart do that salt thing also. Great way to kill neons & corys. I only use salt to kill Ich &nematodes.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss replied the topic: Why PH rarely matters, and why Salt should not be used daily

I am under the opinion that salt belongs on my baked potatoes.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Why PH rarely matters, and why Salt should not be used daily

No salt in my diet.....just some fake butter & pepper

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss replied the topic: Why PH rarely matters, and why Salt should not be used daily

luckily BP and Cholesterol not an issue for me, yet. though i am told at last checkup its getting close to start watching it.

• Rocksor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Rocksor replied the topic: Why PH rarely matters, and why Salt should not be used daily

Scientific study pointing out that fish who do not exist in brakish waters exhibit more consumption of oxygen with salt in the tank.

Interesting to find out that the Mayan and Black Belt have been found in the brakish waters, and the Jack Dempsey do fine in brakish type conditions.

deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/51532/Oldfield_Saltwater_Cichl?sequence=1

• Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Why PH rarely matters, and why Salt should not be used daily

Hope this doesn't seem like a stupid question as water chemistry in this detail is a bit over my head but would a water conditioner like Prime be considered an additive? Daily WC's and dosing for the volume of the tank every day I'm wondering if this increases my tds more and more?

• Rocksor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Rocksor replied the topic: Why PH rarely matters, and why Salt should not be used daily

Prime is an additive. It does add chemicals to the aquarium.

If you do a water change, you actually remove Prime chemicals with each water change since the volume of water changed is much higher than the amount of Prime added. So don't worry about Prime building up over time.

• Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Why PH rarely matters, and why Salt should not be used daily

I do 40% daily wc's but dose for the entire tank. Am I still removing enough chemicals Rocksor?

• Rocksor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Yeah, even if you were only to do a water change of 40% once a week, you would remove practically all the chemicals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phantom

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds