Why PH rarely matters, and why Salt should not be used daily

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Why PH rarely matters, and why Salt should not be used daily

pretty cool rock

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Why PH rarely matters, and why Salt should not be used daily

Imho, the acidity does matter, due to the relation between acidity and alkalinity.
edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ss540

"Alkalinity and hardness are related through common ions formed in aquatic systems. Specifically, the counter-ions associated with the bicarbonate and carbonate fraction of alkalinity are the principal ions responsible for hardness (usually Ca++ and Mg++). As a result, the carbonate fraction of hardness (expressed as CaCO3 equivalents) is chemically equivalent to the bicarbonates of alkalinity present in water (Burton Jr. and Pitt 2002) in areas where the water interacts with limestone (Timmons et al. 2002). Any hardness greater than the alkalinity represents noncarbonate hardness.

Alkalinity is important because it buffers the pH of water within the system. Without this buffering capacity, small additions of acids or bases would result in significant changes of pH, which could be deleterious for aquatic life. Alkalinity also influences the distribution of some organisms within aquatic systems."

There was a discussion in the forum about this subject a couple of years ago, started by Marcus.
In my case, my Pleco supplier gave me the initial advice to keep my KH stable at 7, instead of focussing on the pH.
A stable KH wouldt help keep the pH stable.
I did try this method and it works for me.
Adjusting the KH is easy and far less riskfull than adjusting the acidity.

Any other members check and adjust the KH, besides or next to their pH measurements?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds