A Few Cycling Questions.

• Keith
  • Keith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Keith replied the topic: A Few Cycling Questions.

Yes, API Freshwater Master Kit.

It just began doing that the past 2 days, only the 3rd day of having nitrites. The first day nitrites showed up it took nearly the entire 5 min to change from light blue to the .25 ppm shade. Yesterday when it did that I thought "awesome nitrites are truely spiking" but then after shaking it turned light blue and stayed there. Same thing today. When I get back home I'll test some bottled water.

Also, yesterday I had an ammonia drop from 4 ppm to 1 ppm so I was expecting to see a rise in nitrites, unless it all got converted to nitrates within the 24 hours. Nitrates rose from a trace amount (more than 0, less than 5) to a solid 5 ppm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keith
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ok, did a test on bottled water. It started out light blue and stayed like that just as I expect it would.

I did an internet search to find out if somebody on a different site had ever had this happen. Found somebody that said if your nitrites are off the charts high it will immediately turn dark purple and lighten back to light blue when shook for 5 seconds.

I decided to run an experiment to test it out. I used roughly 1/2 aquarium water and 1/2 bottled water. When I added the drops it stayed light blue, shook it 5 seconds and started the timer. Less than a minute in it started to darken. After 5 min I got a reading darker than 2 ppm but lighter than 5. So with a 50% solution I am nearly hitting the top of the chart. So my conclusion is that the person on the other forum is correct, if your nitrites are way off the charts you are going to have an odd test. I don't have any clue why (never did do well in chemistry class) but that seems to be what is going on.

On the bright side, I got the long anticipated nitrite spike, lol!

• Keith
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ok, did a test on bottled water. It started out light blue and stayed like that just as I expect it would.

I did an internet search to find out if somebody on a different site had ever had this happen. Found somebody that said if your nitrites are off the charts high it will immediately turn dark purple and lighten back to light blue when shook for 5 seconds.

I decided to run an experiment to test it out. I used roughly 1/2 aquarium water and 1/2 bottled water. When I added the drops it stayed light blue, shook it 5 seconds and started the timer. Less than a minute in it started to darken. After 5 min I got a reading darker than 2 ppm but lighter than 5. So with a 50% solution I am nearly hitting the top of the chart. So my conclusion is that the person on the other forum is correct, if your nitrites are way off the charts you are going to possibly have an odd test. I don't have any clue why (never did do well in chemistry class) but that seems to be what is going on.

On the bright side, I got the long anticipated nitrite spike, lol!

• Thank you received: 44

CalebZachary replied the topic: A Few Cycling Questions.

Lol. Good news I suppose, right? Looks like you are getting there.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds