A couple of questions

• newbieoscarkeeper
  • newbieoscarkeeper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

newbieoscarkeeper created the topic: A couple of questions

I have been testing my water almost everyday. So, I was wondering, how often should I test? Daily? Weekly? Before and after water change?

And another question...the ammonia level in both of my tanks is always .25 so I tested my tap water (which is well water) and the ammonia level was slightly higher at .25-.5. Is this normal? The tap tested 0 for nitrates/nitrites.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Popss replied the topic: A couple of questions

ir is normal. what you are reading as .25 is really 0, unless it is def showing green and no yellow you can take that as 0.

that being said i would just check for nitrate. once you know what your nitrate creep is you can check once every 4 or 5 days. nitrate dictates your water changes, knowing how fast they creep up to 20ppm well give you a planed WC schedule.

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

oh and I forgot, GREAT JOB ON STAYING ON IT!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: A couple of questions

If your tank is fully cycled and you have figured out how long it takes for Nitrates to get to 20ppm , you can probably check once a month. Unless you think something is off. You didn't post levels for Nitrites , Nitrates and pH in your tank. How are those levels ?
Now I understand that you are adding .25 Ammonia with each WC , but your filtration should be able to process that within 24 to 48 hours. If it doesn't I would try to add some more filtration. Even if its just a small cheap HOB.

What size tank and filtration do you currently run ?

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Morning fire

not meaning to second guess you or sound flippent but have you ever seen a API ammonia test where it was just as yellow as the chart shows? or is there always a slight tent of green. test right off the bat before 5 min up are always off yellow to me, not same as the chart shows. and i am pushing over 1000g an hour with well cycled filters on a 95g tank.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Hi Popss. I don't mind you second guessing. It's a good way to get the best information possible.
My Ammonia tests do come up as yellow as the chart. Screaming yellow.
I had it come up as a very slight tinged green , but added filtration and got it back on track.

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

humm,, food for thought on my part then, matter of fact going to do a ammonia test right now as i have not done one in a few months.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: A couple of questions

I've seen ammonia as yellow as the chart

• Popss
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

ammonia test doen, and true if in the right light its yellow. i am finding cupped in my hand is the best way to read as it wants to take any other color around and mask it.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I hold it up against the backside of the color chart. Solid white. No other color for it to take on.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds