High Nitrates !

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: High Nitrates !

Test some bottled water. That should give you a pretty good idea if those tests are still good and if you are doing them correctly. The Nitrate test can be quite tricky. Especially if the test bottle has been sitting for a while.
But sadly I have to say that we have come across quite a few people that have had high Nitrates out of their tap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Burbano
  • Burbano's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Burbano replied the topic: High Nitrates !

That is a good ideal; I will test some bottled water!

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: High Nitrates !

im really hoping that test kit isnt accurate.... if you were getting nitrates out of the tap i wouldnt even know what to do :(

if you decided to get the canister now, things could really work in your favor. when you get the 120g, you could bring the canister over to the bigger tank and the established filter would cycle the tank just about instantly.

then your left with the 55, and the penguin filter would be sufficient as long as you dont stock the tank heavily.

oh, and welcome to the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Burbano

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: High Nitrates !

If nitrates are coming out the tap are greater than 20ppm, then try one of the following

1. Try fluval nitrate labs remover
2. Algae scrubber
3. Hydroponics pond
4. Denitrator filter
5. reverse osmosis

• Burbano
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Okay guys, it is confirmed... My tap water nitrates levels are around 40 ppm.

I tested my tank today (80 ppm) I tested bottled water ( 0 ppm) and my tap water readings were about 40 ppm.

You need to call your water authority. EPA regulations in the US state that water supplied by the water company CANNOT exceed 10ppm.

water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/basicinformation/nitrate.cfm

In 1974, Congress passed the Safe Drinking Water Act. This law requires EPA to determine the level of contaminants in drinking water at which no adverse health effects are likely to occur. These non-enforceable health goals, based solely on possible health risks and exposure over a lifetime with an adequate margin of safety, are called maximum contaminant level goals (MCLG). Contaminants are any physical, chemical, biological or radiological substances or matter in water.

The MCLG for nitrate is 10 mg/L or 10 ppm. EPA has set this level of protection based on the best available science to prevent potential health problems. EPA has set an enforceable regulation for nitrate, called a maximum contaminant level (MCL), at 10 mg/L or 10 ppm. MCLs are set as close to the health goals as possible, considering cost, benefits and the ability of public water systems to detect and remove contaminants using suitable treatment technologies. In this case, the MCL equals the MCLG, because analytical methods or treatment technology do not pose any limitation.

Infants below six months who drink water containing nitrate in excess of the maximum contaminant level (MCL) could become seriously ill and, if untreated, may die. Symptoms include shortness of breath and blue baby syndrome.

This health effects language is not intended to catalog all possible health effects for nitrate. Rather, it is intended to inform consumers of some of the possible health effects associated with nitrate in drinking water when the rule was finalized.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: High Nitrates !

wow. that is crazy.

• Burbano
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

At this point guys I am about to use Prime (seachem) in an attempt to at least detoxified nitrates. I would like to hear your opinion on that please!

• Thank you received: 44

CalebZachary replied the topic: High Nitrates !

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm not sure how much it detoxifies. I'd double the dose.

I've tried it, and I don't see how it lowers nitrates, even Seachem does not know. Keep in mind if there is no chlorine or chloramine in the aquarium, Prime will bind with dissolved oxygen, and there will be less oxygen for your fish.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds