High Steady Nitrite Levels while cycling. Two questions.

• Idonthaveanick
  • Idonthaveanick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Idonthaveanick created the topic: High Steady Nitrite Levels while cycling. Two questions.

Hi All,

I apologize in advance if this topic have been covered before. I did a search and could not find anything. I actually have two questions. 1) I noticed that my Nitrites are steady at 1.0 PPM (As per API Master water kit) but my ammonia have been going down since I put an Active Sponge Filter from Angel Plus. Which, by the way, cycled almost instantly my other Guppy 10 Gallon aquarium after having issues for over 2 months trying to cycle that tank. So they work! They are actually AWESOME and would recommend it to anybody trying to cycle a tank. Anyways, so my Nitrates have been going up and my ammonia is now at .25 ppm and going down. Why do Nitrites keep steady at 1.0 PPM? Now my second question. 2) If I put another sponge filter without an air pump connected to it, will it be seeded by bacteria eventually? The reason behind it is, that I would like to have an extra seeded filter media in case I decide to get another tank.

Thank you,

P.S.

Btw.. the tank I'm talking about is my Oscar fish tank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: High Steady Nitrite Levels while cycling. Two questions.

How long has this tank been set up ? What is your pH ?
How are you shielding your Oscar from the Ammonia and Nitrites ?

• Idonthaveanick
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Idonthaveanick replied the topic: High Steady Nitrite Levels while cycling. Two questions.

This tank have been going on for little over a month. I normally shield my oscar through water changes. I check the water in the mornings and then again in the afternoon and perform my water changes, then I wait for about an hour or more and then I check the water again. My PH right now is 7.6 Ammonia= 0.25 Nitrite= 1.0 Nitrate= 20 PPM. Like I said, after I put in the Active Sponge filter yesterday, Ammonia went down from 0.5 to 0.25 Nitrites steady at 1.0 and Nitrates went up from 10 to 20 PPM and PH have remained at 7.6. It looks like the bacteria in the active filter is working, however I was kind of amaze to see Ammonia go down and Nitrates go up but no change in Nitrites.

Thank you,

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: High Steady Nitrite Levels while cycling. Two questions.

It takes anywhere between six and eight weeks to complete a cycle in a fish tank. There may be a case that you need to wait a little bit longer before things settle down properly.

How old are you test kits? Also, have you tested the water coming from your tap, if not then please do so.

The bacteria that deal with ammonia are the first ones that grow in the filtration, once they have developed, the bacteria that deal with nitrites start developing. So it's quite normal for the nitrites to remain higher after the ammonia has started to drop down. If the nitrites are not dropping then should it be possible that you are not carrying out a large enough water change? You'll need to carry out a fairly large water change to make a difference to the Devils, a small water change probably won't have any effect.

Any additional filtration that contains beneficial bacteria will of course help remove toxins. Since the filter you are talking about was on a 10 gallon aquarium, I suspect there probably isn't much filter material inside, so may not have much effect.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Idonthaveanick
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Idonthaveanick replied the topic: High Steady Nitrite Levels while cycling. Two questions.

OFL wrote: It takes anywhere between six and eight weeks to complete a cycle in a fish tank. There may be a case that you need to wait a little bit longer before things settle down properly.

How old are you test kits? Also, have you tested the water coming from your tap, if not then please do so.

The bacteria that deal with ammonia are the first ones that grow in the filtration, once they have developed, the bacteria that deal with nitrites start developing. So it's quite normal for the nitrites to remain higher after the ammonia has started to drop down. If the nitrites are not dropping then should it be possible that you are not carrying out a large enough water change? You'll need to carry out a fairly large water change to make a difference to the Devils, a small water change probably won't have any effect.

Any additional filtration that contains beneficial bacteria will of course help remove toxins. Since the filter you are talking about was on a 10 gallon aquarium, I suspect there probably isn't much filter material inside, so may not have much effect.

Thank you for your response,

I'm afraid I did not make myself clear when I talked about the active filter media. I bought two of them, a large one and a small one for my 10 Gallon Guppy breeder tank. The guppy tank immediately cycle, everything is PH 7.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 20ppm. Now, the one that I started to see the parameters kind of normalize as in going right where they should be, were the ones in my Oscar tank. Last time I got the huge Nitrite spike from the cycling process was a week ago and I did a HUGE water change and was able to bring it down to Nitrate .25 PPM from 5.0 PPM.

I'll do a PWC and see what happens, if I can bring it down from 1.0 to .25 I'll be happy. I was kind of afraid to do anything since I did not want to accidentally affect the bacteria that I recently introduced to the tank via the sponge filter. What I will do is: Syphon water from the middle of the tank without disturbing the gravel or getting close to it or the sponge filters since, I was reading that the high concentration of BB is not in the water column but the filter media, gravel etc.

I will see how it goes and will post.

Thank you!

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: High Steady Nitrite Levels while cycling. Two questions.

Gravel should be cleaned with each water change. That's where all your dirt and left over food ends up. As far as I know sponge filters need an air line hooked up to them. But I don't use them , so I don't know for sure.
Are you using a water conditioner that neutralizes the Ammonia and Nitrates ? Because you are still exposing your fish to both of them in between water changes and both can be quite harmful.

• Idonthaveanick
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I do have a water conditioner that does that, however I try to limit the use of it do to the fact that lowers PH a whole lot! It is called AmQuel Plus.

• Idonthaveanick
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Alright! I'm happy to report that after putting in the Active Sponge Filter from Angel Plus, a PWC yesterday and adding another sponge filter so that I would have sufficient area in my tank for more BB (I guess you can never have enough) The tank is cycled! PH= 7.6 Ammonia 0. Nitrite 0 and Between 10 and 20 (Hard to tell cos of the color) PPM Nitrate.

YAY!

Thank you all for your input, like always I would not know what to do if it wasn't for you guys.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I wonder what is going on with tanks that do not seem to cycle. Those filters seem like a great option , but you still don't know what caused the problem.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds