Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

• JonJon82
  • JonJon82's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

JonJon82 created the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

Hey community,

I just read that "Ideally, the goal is to have fish tank water that has a neutral pH of 7" on eHow

Doesn't this mean "7" is kind of a magic number when it comes to keeping fish in an aquarium?
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Re: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

Unless your keeping sensitive wild caught fish that came from conditions drastically different from your tap water (discus, angels, rams, apistos, many Africans) a stable ph, even if not prefect, is best for your fish. 99% of tank raised fish are just fine at a ph of between 6.5-8.5 ph and unless you know exactly what your changing and how it affects your water chemistry I don't recommend trying to modify your water.
  • OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

Some of the information on eHow can be a little bit dubious, however on the whole it's a pretty good place to get reliable information. And in this case their advice and information in my opinion is reliable. A neutral pH is neither acidic or alkaline, so basically fish that don't do very well in acidic water will be okay if your water is neutral, and vice versa. Having said that, water with a pH value of 7.0 straight from your tap will probably change within time. If you are keeping a large fish especially, the pH will probably drop quite dramatically. My pH level straight from the tap is something between 7.0 and 7.5, my tank water is nearer to 6.0. Or should I say it was 6.0, I haven't got my big tank any more, but those were the readings I had over the years.

But as Ken has said, the majority of the fish that we keep will be perfectly happy living in levels between acidic and alkaline

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
  • Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

Like Ken said, only if you're keeping fish that demand a certain PH value; Tanganyikan cichlids come to mind.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
  • JonJon82
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

JonJon82 replied the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

Based on what I've read, crushed coral seems like an easy way to raise your pH for african cichlids. Didn't know that your water gets more acidic when you put fish in it. 6.0 is a little scary, esp since our tap waters are about equal. There's so much know in this hobby it feels overwhelming
  • Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

Really ? Because the only thing you seem to focus about your fish keeping so far is the pH level. In like 4 different threads...
  • bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

The best thing to do with your ph is nothing. Stabile is better than changing no matter the volume. Till you truely understand what you are doing best to leave it be an chose fish that tolerate what you have. Unless you go nuts and get wild fish most tank raised fish are used to something in the 7-8 range and will do just fine. You are far more likely to kil your fish trying for perfect ph than by leaving it alone. Concentrate on clean well filtered tanks and you will be miles ahead of the average.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement
  • JonJon82
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

How was I supposed to know the water gets more acidic when you put a fish in it? pH sounded important so after learning about tank cycling, and since I was tired of staring at my tank, I chose pH. And it leads you to a place you don't want to go, chemistry above 101 and 102. So that is pretty much where the true understanding of pH ends for most aquarists. I want to be positive that my pH would be steady wherever I needed it to be. Crushed coral, I already knew, could maintain a pH above eight for the african cichlids, but I didn't know how to lower the pH for angelfish. That's basically all I've done the whole week is think about acid base reactions into a buffer solvent to make the angelfish pH. That's all I've done in the hobby so far. Cycle a tank for a month and end up at college level chemistry, possibly leaving me more confused than before.
  • JonJon82
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Those wild pH shifts you get when you first start cycling got me nervous. Thanks to you guys I learned to ignore them. Its funny you spend all that time and learn you dont have to change any of it
  • DouglasTheOscar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

DouglasTheOscar replied the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

I don't worry about the pH in my tank. I have the chemicals to lower them because at first I thought the same: the pH must be perfect for the fish to thrive. I haven't used those chemicals since I've bought them. I just plain stopped messing with the water. It was ~7.0 when I started, dropped to about 6.3 for a few days and now it's stable at 7.6, which is my tap. My fish has grown to past 10 inches, from 4-5" back in May. Sure i'd love to have the same water chemistry in the Amazon River, or even make my own blackwater, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's like someone changing the chemistry of the air you breathe and live in.

I believe everyone here when they say a stable pH is what's important. That and the copious water changes, which I'll attest the efficacy till death.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonJon82
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds