Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

• JonJon82
  • JonJon82's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

JonJon82 replied the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

Putting them back in their own natural pH is what I would've preferred too. If you try to change your pH and you're a little off...dead fish. All that matters is that they can still grow like you said
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

As stated several times, and in different threads to boot, ph rarely matters. Concentrate on proper levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I have many large tanks with many large cichllids and I could care less about ph. I joined this forum just about a year ago, and followed advice and implemented methods used by the knowledgeable people here. Several of these very people have been replying to your various threads, which seem to have the common denominator of ph. Its a MINUTE detail of the hobby. I check the ph on my African tank about 3 times a year. The rest of my CA/SA cichlids practically never. If you saw my fish you would be most impressed, and thats not blowing my own horn, it's a testament to how helpful this site can be, IF YOU FOLLOW ADVICE!!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
  • Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

JonJon82 wrote: Putting them back in their own natural pH is what I would've preferred too. If you try to change your pH and you're a little off...dead fish. All that matters is that they can still grow like you said

Chances are they have never been exposed to their " natural " pH unless they are wild caught.

So please...no more additional threads about pH. Or I will lock them.

It has been make clear by more than one person when and how pH may become a valid issue.
There is no need to have 3 or 4 different threads going about it at the same time from one person.
  • Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

JonJon82 wrote: Putting them back in their own natural pH is what I would've preferred too. If you try to change your pH and you're a little off...dead fish. All that matters is that they can still grow like you said

Not entirely true. Planted aquariums and bodies of water with underwater aquatic plants go through a large PH swing at night time when plants switch off from consuming carbon dioxide. Most aquarium fish won't die with a PH swing of greater than 1.

What really matters is the total dissolved solids levels. This affects their ability to process water through their body and gills. This is called osmoregulation. If you take a fish from a water at TDS 1600ppm, and dump them into water with 200ppm, they will die if not removed immediately. While there is a correlation between a lower ph and lower TDS level, it is not always the case. You can raise and lower the TDS level without affecting the PH, by introducing or reducing minerals such as salt into the aquarium.

So you may think that a fish has died due to ph shock, actually died from osmotic shock.

mtfb.com/MTFBJUNE/MTFB2%20pages/jacobsarticle2.htm
  • JonJon82
  • JonJon82's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

JonJon82 replied the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

Firestorm8215,

I will not post anymore pH questions, but as you know, I'm still learning. I would prefer though, that you did not respond to anymore of my threads. I really don't want your advice anymore.
  • Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

You are more than welcome to ask as many pH questions as you like , and you will get as much help and information as we can offer.
All I said was to not start any new threads about it , since you already have 3 or 4 going about pretty much the same subject. It gets very confusing for everyone , and not very productive when pretty much the response is the same in all of them.
Keep one thread going that we can all focus on and ask all you want.

So if you pick which one you want to keep going we can either lock the other ones or combine them and make it a lot easier on everyone. Including you , since you will have all your answers in one place.
  • Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Is Neutral pH Ever Bad for a Fish?

And that's why novices shouldn't mess with or worry too much about PH. Again concentrate on learning about MUCH more important things like the nitrogen cycle & filtration.....

As far as FS responding to your questions, ones that have been asked repeatedly over & over in multiple threads, she was trying to impress upon you that you are asking the same question & expecting a different response.

If you don't like the answers, don't ask the question.

As this question has been asked & answered several times I am locking this thread. I am asking the Mod team to do the same if this topic comes up again by the OP. Enough.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Firestorm8215
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds