Fish in cycling and high nitrites

• Larinda
  • Larinda's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Larinda created the topic: Fish in cycling and high nitrites

I am new to this and due to my Oscar being in an emergency situation, I had to do a fish in cycle.
My tank is finally cycling and I am in the process of getting a 75g aquarium.
My ammonia is below.25, but nitrites are still at least 2.0, I have been doing 50 to 75% water changes daily for weeks.
How long will my nitrites be high?

I am using Prime with every water change.
My O is active and eating well and the wounds he had when I got him have healed. We also overcame a case if ick several weeks ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 8

smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget replied the topic: Fish in cycling and high nitrites

prime lasts 48 hours so only need to do water changes every other day. nitrite being 2.0 suggest you need to be doing larger water changes. i would be doing 70 to 80% or fin level, cycling can take up to 8 weeks, specially with fish in. Showing nitrite does show that its getting there, you are on the down hill side of it i would say.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Fish in cycling and high nitrites

I would remain on a daily w/c schedule. Nitrites of 2.0 are more dangerous than ammonia of .25. You will always have an slight ammonia reading, even when using Prime, as Prime doesn't "erase" ammonia, rather binds it into ammonium. I have several large tanks, I do aggressive, frequent changes and always have trace amounts of ammonia. Its never a pure zero. I would want to keep those nitrites low, and until you see some signs of nitrate, daily changes as you have been doing are the way to do that.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Larinda

• smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 8

smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget replied the topic: Fish in cycling and high nitrites

What size tank in now? and fish? if every day water changes and still 2.0 nitrite either water changes to small or tank way to small, no offence suprd71 just info is not adding up.

• Larinda
  • Larinda's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Larinda replied the topic: Fish in cycling and high nitrites

What fish? an adult oscar. Size tank? a 30 g.
I am aware of the tank being too small.
Like I said this was an emergency situation. I live in the middle of nowhere and had to get him in water considering he had been left over night at the back door of a vet clinic in a plastic bag.
I wasn't sure he was going to survive and wanted to make sure of this before making the 260 mile trip for a large tank and the expense.
My tank is cycling and I am doing daily water changes of 50 to 70%. This was advice from many on a previous post. My ammonia was high and now is below .25, this morning was so close to 0 but hard to tell exactly. My Nitrites were 1.0 this morning and Nitrates 5, this was before water change.
I am aware the nitrites will be high as the tank is in stage 2 of the cycle process.
My original question was.....How long will this second stage of cycling take with the nitrites being high?

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Fish in cycling and high nitrites

You are doing well. A showing of nitrates and a reduction of nitrites is very good. Your nitrites are half of what they were. To give you an exactly how long to complete the cycle is tough, but you are doing it right. I think you will be all good very soon.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Larinda

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds