Need to safely raise pH from about neutral to about 8.3 to 8.5

• JonJon82
  • JonJon82's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

JonJon82 created the topic: Need to safely raise pH from about neutral to about 8.3 to 8.5

Adding a calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate buffer is one way I was given.
Adding crushed coral to the filter is another way I was given.

But yeah to raise my pH by that much I have to decrease the H+ ions in the water by ALOT. Raising m pH by just one takes a tenfold decrease in H+ ions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Need to safely raise pH from about neutral to about 8.3 to 8.5

Are you thinking about keeping African cichlids?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Need to safely raise pH from about neutral to about 8.3 to 8.5

OFL wrote: Are you thinking about keeping African cichlids?

X2 on that question. Neutral ph is pretty well perfect for Oscars. I use crushed coral for substrate in my African tank to maintain an 8-8.2. The rest of my CA/SA tanks hold close to neutral.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonJon82

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Need to safely raise pH from about neutral to about 8.3 to 8.5

I am curious as well as to why you want to raise it.
When I first came here I had to raise mine because my pH was so low that I couldnt get my tank to cycle , but in general it is better to just leave the pH alone. Because once you start messing around with your pH levels you really have to stay on top of it.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Need to safely raise pH from about neutral to about 8.3 to 8.5

I think that most African cichlids are now bred in captivity, therefore there are probably more likely to be able to withstand lower pH so it's not so critical for them to live in the high pH. In fact after this guy asked the question, I have a little look around on the Internet and I found a website which stated that many of the African cichlids, Lake Malawi Lake Tanganyika etc can actually thrive in pH levels from 7.0, up to 8.5. So I would be inclined to find out if the fish have been living in lower pH before the guy gets them, if he is actually going to get these type of fish. Trying to alter your pH is probably left the people who know what they're doing, I certainly wouldn't advise people who are not familiar with water chemistry to try and do it, it could just end up in disaster.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• JonJon82
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

JonJon82 replied the topic: Need to safely raise pH from about neutral to about 8.3 to 8.5

Yes I'm going to get some african chiclids, but if you're right and they can live in lower pH than I can get some tropical chiclids or mollies too (My tank is only 29G and too small for an Oscar to be happy)

I've learned a lot about water chemistry so far and would not call myself a complete newbie anymore. Carbonates will dissolve in water eating up H+ ions and increasing the pH.

I'm thinking that a calcium carbonate/magnesium carbonate product will dissolve in water into just magnesium, calcium, and free carbonates which can go around eating up H+ ions. I dont know what becomes of the magnesium and calcium...they probably turn into ions but dont know what they'll do.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Need to safely raise pH from about neutral to about 8.3 to 8.5

if your getting africans....get africans only. mollies or other cichlids shouldnt be kept together. africans are mostly very aggressive. mollies wouldnt even stand a chance....

the best way to raise ph is with substrate and certain rocks. they sell substrate that is specifically meant for africans and has crushed shells and coral in it....its the best way to keep that ph a bit higher and at a consistent level

i wouldnt recommend any type of additive because thats how you end up with fluctuation in ph levels. its better to have a consistent level.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Need to safely raise pH from about neutral to about 8.3 to 8.5

X2 on MH88.. I have crushed coral as substrate in my African tank and it holds a steady 8-8.2 ph.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• JonJon82
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

JonJon82 replied the topic: Need to safely raise pH from about neutral to about 8.3 to 8.5

That stinks you have to choose between african and tropical chiclids. Hard decision..I bet a pictus catfish would go with tropical chiclids.

I'll just have to go back to the fish store and decide...still have a week or so of cycling left anyway.

You guys are great though, crush coral seems like the way to go to raise your pH safely.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Need to safely raise pH from about neutral to about 8.3 to 8.5

just remember your tank size. and a lot of american cichlids (like oscars) would be to big to even be the sole fish of the tank

some africans (not my specialty) dont get that big and you could really work wonders with smaller sized tanks and african cichlids.

in my opinion, the best setup for smaller tanks is rams (after all, i am a cichlid guy) a few schools of smaller fish like cherry barbs, and a school of cory catfish.

you get all the color, population, and activeness that you want in a small tank. and aggression and bioload isnt a problem. but!!! thats just my opinion, you could do anything you want!! so if you have any questions we'll be here to help!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds