murky water oscar breathing heavy.

• justin1795
  • justin1795's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

justin1795 created the topic: murky water oscar breathing heavy.

hello. we moved from the city out to a place that has a community well. the move with the oscar went well. we moved his 75gal tank and rocks. the only thing i did was clean the sump out while it was apart. everything was fine for a week or two. the water started getting a murky brown. i removed the drift wood that i never had a problem with. someone suggested the water softner may be a problem. i did a 50 percent water change with the one house outlet that is prewater softner. that was a few days ago. nitrate and nitrate are great and amonia is .25
the ph is about 7.8. i have been adding prime also. i took the water to a farm store and they tested it at hardness 5gph
iron less than .5ppm
ph 7.0

im really clueluess here as i have tried everything i can think of. he hasent eaten for about a week. there is also a small pleco and a pictus catfish with him. he just lays at the bottom breathing hard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: murky water oscar breathing heavy.

How are you testing your wqater at home ?
With a pH of 7.8 even trace amounts of Ammonia can be harmful to fish.
What concerns me is the not having a Nitrate level ? Well , what exactly do you consider " great " levels ?Especially with murky water.
Are you using test strips ? Is it possible your test kit is expired ?
Can you post a picture of the tank so we can get a better idea of whats going on ?

I think you probably lost your cycle. How often and how much water do you usually change ?

• justin1795
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

justin1795 replied the topic: murky water oscar breathing heavy.

im using api master test kit. the nitrite and nitrate are both at 0. amonia is .25ppm. this was the first water change i did since we moved so the water was in that tank 14-20 days.

• Thank you received: 44

CalebZachary replied the topic: murky water oscar breathing heavy.

Your water change schedule is lacking for one thing. With that stock, you need to do at least 50-75% weekly. Probably twice a week to be safe. Nitrate should NEVER be 0 on a test. Make sure you are shaking nitrate bottle two for 30 seconds before putting into test tube.

• justin1795
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

i tested again and nitrate is between 0 and 5ppm and nitrate is still at the very bottom of the scale. you think the tank is over stocked? i can remove the other 2 fish but i never thought it was overstocked.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: murky water oscar breathing heavy.

are you letting the ammonia and nitrite test sit out for 5 minutes before checking the reading?

being fine for 1-2 weeks in the new setting with new water, and suddenly breathing hard typically points to something happening to the water in the tank.

Does he move the gravel around a lot?

I think the O and Catfish or O and plec are fine with a right water change schedule. You need to do weekly water changes. Large changes. 50-75 a week. Do you gravel vac as well?

• justin1795
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

i do gravel vacum. i was suprised how much i pulled out that last time but i ran it till i thought it was pretty clean. im dipping the tubes in the water and leveling them out. then i shake the drops then i put them in and shake the tube. i let them sit for a few mins and take my reading..

i checked the ph of the hose water (pre water softner) 7.4 to 7.6
my faucet is at 7.2 to 7.4

what water should i be using. i know the lower ph is better but im wondering if i should be bypassing the water softner instead. i will do a water change again tonight just let me know what water i should be using.

I wouldn't worry too much about the PH, but just doing my frequent W/C and especially since there is traces of ammonia. I'd do another 50%. Test your tap for ammonia as well.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: murky water oscar breathing heavy.

Use the hose water that does not come from the water softener and see if that makes a difference. Don't change more than 25% of the water for the first 3 water changes.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds