murky water oscar breathing heavy.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: murky water oscar breathing heavy.

This is the statment that may be the most telling:

"the only thing i did was clean the sump out while it was apart. "

As in clean the bio-balls or ceramic rings or whatever bio-media you had in there?......you lost your cycle if so, & yes, that stock list is too much bio-load for a 75.

Bypass the water softener....to the best of my knowledge, WS's use some sort of salt to accomplish the softening process, & I'm not thinking that this will not be good for FW fish....Rock may have a better take on that, as I have never used one, but I think you have a 2-fold problem....

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:murky water oscar breathing heavy.

I have a water softener and have kept a variety of fish with no problem. The salt that ends up in your water is practically nothing. The salt bath is used to rinse the media(resin) that captures the minerals in your water and get rid of it down a drain. The media is a negative charge so it attracts the calcium,lime ect. Some salt stays on the media and gets replaced as the minerals attract. The harder your water is the more salt ends up in your water. If you were to test the salt content of your water it would say 0. Some manufacturers even claim 0 salt ends up in the water. I think the count is just so low it doesn't show up. They do have saltless systems available now. Not sure how they work.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds