TRIPLE ZEROS! I'm baffled on this one.

• Suprd71
  • Suprd71's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 created the topic: TRIPLE ZEROS! I'm baffled on this one.

I rarely do parameter tests, as I am a huge water change guy. Did all 8 tanks today, all very good except my 125 housing a single male Jag. Scored 3 zeros. Did it 3 times. FX5, XP4, and Aquatech 30/60. The canisters havent been touched since late July, both pumping normal and chocked full of bio-max. Tank gets minimum 100% w/c weekly, 10 days max. Fish is doing great, just not getting where my nitrates ended up at zero. No other tank reads more than 10, so its not the test kit. ?????????

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: TRIPLE ZEROS! I'm baffled on this one.

some part of the canister became anaerobic and bacteria are munchin on the nitrates in that part? that would be the most logical explanation i can think of, or your fish are environmentalists and refuse to poop/pee in their tank?

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: TRIPLE ZEROS! I'm baffled on this one.

I'm not quite understanding what you're saying. Are you saying that you have carried out a nitrate test three times the result of being zero every time?

What test kits are you using? Some nitrates tests involve using three bottles, others such as API use only two bottles for the nitrates. It is very very important that you shake the second bottle form absolute minimum of 30 seconds. If any of the liquid has solidified that you may find faults test results. Also, you must shake the file for 1 min. Not 40 seconds, not 50 seconds, 1 min. Failing this, have you tried another test kit?

Having said all this, if you are changing all of the water and of course he will get zero nitrates. You could even find this happening after two days since you only have one fish. I am assuming that ammonia and nitrates are absolutely zero?

I wonder if you have got some sludge in your canister filters that are acting as a nitrates filter? This can happen, bacteria will build up in dirt that may have got stuck in the corners, this that will actually remove nitrates. Just a thought

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: TRIPLE ZEROS! I'm baffled on this one.

Suprd71 wrote: I rarely do parameter tests, as I am a huge water change guy. Did all 8 tanks today, all very good except my 125 housing a single male Jag. Scored 3 zeros. Did it 3 times. FX5, XP4, and Aquatech 30/60. The canisters havent been touched since late July, both pumping normal and chocked full of bio-max. Tank gets minimum 100% w/c weekly, 10 days max. Fish is doing great, just not getting where my nitrates ended up at zero. No other tank reads more than 10, so its not the test kit. ?????????

just want to check... testing is done after water change or before. and 100% w/c?
i am just baffled how can you do 100% water change?
unless you remove the fish at the tank during water change...

testing the water a few minutes after large water change will give you 0;0;0 result
until the system stabilized....

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:TRIPLE ZEROS! I'm baffled on this one.

DRACO wrote:

Suprd71 wrote: I rarely do parameter tests, as I am a huge water change guy. Did all 8 tanks today, all very good except my 125 housing a single male Jag. Scored 3 zeros. Did it 3 times. FX5, XP4, and Aquatech 30/60. The canisters havent been touched since late July, both pumping normal and chocked full of bio-max. Tank gets minimum 100% w/c weekly, 10 days max. Fish is doing great, just not getting where my nitrates ended up at zero. No other tank reads more than 10, so its not the test kit. ?????????

just want to check... testing is done after water change or before. and 100% w/c?
i am just baffled how can you do 100% water change?
unless you remove the fish at the tank during water change...

testing the water a few minutes after large water change will give you 0;0;0 result
until the system stabilized....

He means doing minimum 100% wc weekly meaning two 50% wc a week or more. Is it possible that your other tanks are more than 10 and the test kit is acting up. Maybe they are really 15 or 20 and this tank is actually 5 or 10 but the test kit is lying to you and saying 0. It is funny that there would be no reading. But let's get to what's really important cuz I know firestorm wants to know... what's your pH? Just kidding, just kidding. Havin a poke at all the concern lately about pH.
If you do find out how come it's reading 0... please let us know!!

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Re:TRIPLE ZEROS! I'm baffled on this one.

now on to the more important question, what's your TDS? :p

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Suprd71

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:TRIPLE ZEROS! I'm baffled on this one.

Thx for the replies fellas... yes, w/c are 50% or better couple times a week. Test was done yesterday, w/c today. Kit could be reading low, even though I do shake and bang the crap out of bottle 2. It does sit several weeks between usage. Other tanks however read in line with historically where they have always been. TDS unknown, I dont have a TDS meter, but should be ok given my w/c sched? I still believe the tank is healthy, and Thor is doing just fine, just wanted to post this oddity and see what came up. And @jmunroe, because you asked, pH is 2.4, or maybe its 24? Should I adjust that? Never mind, I'll open a pH thread!

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:TRIPLE ZEROS! I'm baffled on this one.

ph is 2.4 or 24 is super low or high ...

make sure your test kit isn't expired ...

• Suprd71

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:TRIPLE ZEROS! I'm baffled on this one.

tehmole wrote: ph is 2.4 or 24 is super low or high ...

make sure your test kit isn't expired ...

lol.. thats just a shot at some of the recent pH nonsense. Actual for real levels are right around neutral 7.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: TRIPLE ZEROS! I'm baffled on this one.

Tehmole seems to be sarcasm challenged. :laugh:

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds