How to lower the Ph in a stubborn tank

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: How to lower the Ph in a stubborn tank

I dont understand why everyone latetly seems to think that the pH level is the only thing that matters before or when adding fish to a tank. :dry:

Mole already posted you a link to an article about the cycle. Read over it.
You cant just have a tank sit there and do nothing before adding fish. You will either have to cycle using some hardy fish ( when going that route make sure you have a plan for what to do with them when the cycle is done ) or pure Ammonia.

This is the test kit you want...

www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1382557039&sr=1-1&keywords=api+master+test+kit

And this is the water conditioner Mole was refering to...

www.amazon.com/Seachem-116043304-Prime-500ml/dp/B00025694O/r...=UTF8&qid=1382557081&sr=1-1&keywords=prime+water+conditioner

Both can be found at most pet stores , but amazon may have the ma little cheaper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: How to lower the Ph in a stubborn tank

My PH is 8.4 and i have had zero issues with any of my fish including my Oscar...i'd leave it be

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: How to lower the Ph in a stubborn tank

dont worry about ph. as long as its stable (and usually it is) you wont have problems.

worry about ammonia, nitrate, nitrite.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: How to lower the Ph in a stubborn tank

ebramble wrote: I have recently (three months ago) set up a 55 gal corner aquarium

Is this tank going to be for an oscar?? if it is this is a horrible tank for them due to the odd footprint, once full grown all your oscar can do is swim in a circle. 55 is the bare minimum for and oscar but it should be clarified that a 4' 55 gallon is the bare minium, its as much about the horizontal swimming space as the water volume

ebramble wrote: I have a treasure chest (not sure what its made of) and fake plants for deco

do you have any other bubblers in this tank?? excessive aeration of the water will push the pH up but it doesn't really matter your pH is just fine where its at, adding chemicals to change it will cause an unstable pH and will do more harm than a stable higher pH

ebramble wrote: Out of curiosity, why remove the under gravel filter? Wouldn't simply adding another filtration system be more logical and result in a cleaner environment? As for the aquatech, should I get a larger one or remove it as well?

Under gravel filters work by using the gravel bed to act as the filter. For it to work right you have to have a consistent substrate depth and cichlids are notorious diggers and once the plate is exposed the whole system no longer works. Also the nature of under gravel filters is to pull the water and all the waste (ie. poop) into the gravel and subsequently under the plates where it cant be removed and foul the tank, anyone that has ran an under gravel system for more than a year can tell you how nasty they get :sick:

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: How to lower the Ph in a stubborn tank

I missed the fact that this is a corner tank. I urge you DO NOT put an Oscar in that. Its quite simply too small. Would make for a nice African cichlid setup though

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds