High Nitrite level.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Re: High Nitrite level.

MeanMrGene wrote: Hey guys. Thanks for the advice. Even though I got my advice through our local store, the person I talked to is someone I know personally, and is a owner/breader of all kinds of fish himself - and was the one who turned me onto this site. In fact, he was doing this when I first met him on our job at GM. When he retired, he got a job at working at the pet shop to keep himself busy, and to look after their fish stock.

I see too that you said you don't like feeders for them. I have only been feeding them live comets once a week for the past 4 months or so. Other than that, they have been eating the large Cichlid Pellets from TOPFIN. My friend also recommended the frozen food, or meal worms... What are your thoughts on that?

I will be doing a water change / vacuuming tomorrow and was just curious too as to which chemicals/additives to add & in what order?

I usually add the tap water conditioner first, then wait about an hour for that to circulate before adding the "Cycle" additive and the waste control.

Thanks again, you guys have really opened my eyes to things I either wasn't told, or was told wrong information about.

:cheer:

Pellets are fine. You don't need to feed frozed food.

Water conditioner works instantaneously. Just dose for the whole aquarium and refill where you put the water conditioner. (to know exactly how much water conditioner you need, read up on your water authority report to see how much chlorine/chloramine they are adding to you water.) There's no need to wait for 1 hour.

If you have a digital thermometer, just make sure that the temperature doesn't drop more than 5 degrees during a refill of the aquarium.

What water conditioner are you using?

Bacteria in a bottle has been known to carry bad bacteria that can get your fish sick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: High Nitrite level.

All your nitrate problems will be solved by simply doing frequent massive WC's. 75% 2X per week. I would also check your tap water for nitrates. If they are high , we can deal with that if that situation arises.

I would also recommend you purchase another filter, like a canister or even a wet/dry, & use that as a dedicated biological filter. AC110's are a great mechanical filter, & that's what I would use it for, but I can't recommend them as a sole means of biological filtration.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds