Fishless Cycling Using Pure Ammonia

• TimberleeFields
  • TimberleeFields's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

TimberleeFields created the topic: Fishless Cycling Using Pure Ammonia

Okay, everyone. As you all know, Leo passed away. Now I am going back to the fishless cycle I had previoiusly started and I have a few questions;

Firstly, should I add a bit of fish food to put ammonia in the tank until I can get some pure ammonia tomorrow?

Can I cycle the tank without the hood being on? If so, I can cycle with two filters rather than one and have more media to put into the 75 to seed it when the time comes.

Can I place a mesh laundry bag of gravel in the tank to also aid in seeding the 75?

What should I bring my ammonia levels to with the liquid ammonia and how often? I want to cycle to ensure the highest bioload possible and I believe I read that was 5ppm of ammonia?

How often do I add ammonia to my tank?

How often do I do water changes during the cycling process?

Thank you,
Timber

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Fishless Cycling Using Pure Ammonia

hey timber..
take a look at this:
www.oscarfishlover.com/fishless-cycle

if you have 2 filters running, adding a bag of substrate will not aid on how fast it cycles your tank ....

will answer all your questions ~ good luck and being patience will pay off

• TimberleeFields
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

TimberleeFields replied the topic: Fishless Cycling Using Pure Ammonia

Okay, so, since I'm on a budget, I am not going to get an air pump, I'll just leave the water 1.5-2 inches under the return for both filters.

A few questions the article raised;
1. Can I place 3 huge laundry bags of gravel (essentially filling half the tank with bags of gravel) to maximize the amount of seeding material I can transfer over to the 75?

2. Once my tank is cycled, how long can I continue dosing the 4 - I'll probably do 5 - ppm of ammonia? If it only takes 20 days for this tank to cycle, I will be needing to dose it for at least three months. It's going to take me 3 months (starting Thursday the 21st) to just get the following;
a glass canopy
2 emperor 400s
a 300w heater
silicone

After that, the lighting will be expensive and if I do decide to plant, that could be expensive but this is going to be a long project. Honestly, after I get the above mentioned, I may go ahead and stock my 10 gallon to look at while I get the rest of the stuff for my 75. I don't want to stare at empty tanks for so long, lol.

• TimberleeFields
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

TimberleeFields replied the topic: Fishless Cycling Using Pure Ammonia

Okay, guys, I need an honest opinion.

Should I just set up the 10 gallon as a community for my little girl on the way and THEN worry about the 75? It's going to take months upon months to get everything for the 75 and the fish tank is and was originally for her. I think it may be the better option.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Fishless Cycling Using Pure Ammonia

i would not use gravel as a source of surface area to colonize BB ~ if budget was an issue ~ try using plastic/nylon pot scrubbers from the 99 cent store - add them to your filter/cansiter. but by adding the gravel into your tank like that would not seed BB growth at all......will need constant current flowing through them. after the tank is cycled - Amm and nitrite = 0 and some trace of nitrate, you can stop dosing ammonia ...

there are many methods of adding lights to your tank with a budget --> clip on lights with a day light bulb (about 6500k) will do... could get them at home depot for $10

there are many DIY things you rig up in a budget.... the Internet is your friend and youtube is the tool .... lol

• Thank you received: 1

lexic replied the topic: Fishless Cycling Using Pure Ammonia

TimberleeFields wrote: Okay, guys, I need an honest opinion.

Should I just set up the 10 gallon as a community for my little girl on the way and THEN worry about the 75? It's going to take months upon months to get everything for the 75 and the fish tank is and was originally for her. I think it may be the better option.

Uhm.. by "girl on the way" do you mean a fish or a baby? That might be a stupid question as your pic appears to be a sonogram image, but..

Assuming baby - What's the rush if she isn't even born yet? Work on getting the 75 running. Unless you are planning on keeping the both tanks?

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Oscar.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Fishless Cycling Using Pure Ammonia

Sorry you lost Leo, the cards were sure stacked against him. Lotsa ways to pinch a few bucks here and there. IMO canopies are among the most over priced items in the entire hobby. 60-80 bucks for 15 worth of glass? Visit a glass shop, buy some offcuts or scraps and cut your own. Its very easy and a glass cutter is like 6 bucks. A tube of silicone is cheap, and I too would tackle the 75 asap. Consider the possibility that your first attempt may fail. You dont need a 300w heater, 250 will be plenty. Lighting not important, and again over priced. I use a small led desk lamp for 1 tank, 15 bucks at WalMart. Some of my tanks have no lights, natural daylight and ambient evening room light are good enough. Fish prefer dim lighting anyways.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Fishless Cycling Using Pure Ammonia

Do you have any friends that keep fish ? If you do I would just ask if they would mind letting you add your filter onto one of their tanks until the 75G tank is up.
Being that you seem to be pregnant I am not really sure you need to be messing around with Ammonia at all.
And as far as keeping the tank up with a few small fish in it...For one thing...the 10G is still not cycled , and you will need to move the filters onto the 75G while you get the Emperors are seeded once they are set up...

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Fishless Cycling Using Pure Ammonia

Get janitor ammonia from ace hardware. It is 90% water and 10% ammonia.

You only need to keep the ammonia up to 2ppm. How much that is will depend on the amount of water in the tank. use your ammonia test kit to determine that amount.

as for the top, you could use something as simple as egg crate light diffuser $13 at lowes/home depot. Just cut it to size. I use this on top of my quarantine tanks.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds