Some General Questions

• Chris-gashead
  • Chris-gashead's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Chris-gashead created the topic: Some General Questions

Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum guys, but I didn’t really know where else to put it other than in the general health areas ;)

Is it possible to do too many water changes, in any tank? I have been doing many water changes lately, daily in fact for my community tank. It has been up and running for years, and in fact I moved Malawi Cichlids from this tank to another recently, and then added my community fish into this tank so Bacteria would be strong anyway. Just wanted to make sure that by doing many water changes in a week (roughly 25% per day/every other day) it would not upset the beneficial bacteria and water balance? Logic tells me that it would be fine, but again I would like some reassurance.

When you add water de-chlorinator to your water, do you leave it for a few minutes before adding the water to the aquarium, or do you chuck it straight in? I usually put it straight in as it says "acts immediately", but wondered if this is actually correct?

One other question - Is it ok to use the hot water tap (mixed with cold water obviously), to keep temp as close to my normal aquarium temp as possible? I have been doing this for years with no ill effects but was recently informed that it is not a good idea to do this due to metal based components in hot water?

These are questions I really shouldn’t be asking after soo many years of fish keeping I guess! I have never really had a major problem of any kind, but I guess I really just need reassurance that I am doing things ok. It is never too late to learn new things after all :)

Thanks all,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Some General Questions

During the summer months I use straight cold water (75' out of the tap) at this time of year I mix both. I mix my water conditioner (enough for the whole tank) in a pint glass dump it in the tank and fill the tank. As for WC the more the merrier.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Some General Questions

In theory, it is not really possible to do too many water changes.Regular watering changes will keep the water in really good condition. However, I would only change the water when it's necessary. If you find that your nitrate stays low for a period of time then your fish will be perfectly happy. In an ideal world you would keep to my traits at around 20 ppm. Obviously it's going to far exceed this depending on how you are keeping your fish. So knowing exactly how long it takes for nitrate to reach a level where water needs to be change is always a good idea.

The majority of water conditioners will remove chlorine immediately. So there's not really any need to leave the water standing. You'll find that many of us who have large tanks prefer to take the water straight from the tap into the tank, rather than using buckets or other reciprocals, it just takes far too long to do a very large water change. I just put water treatment in the tank and then replace the water have never had a problem

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris-gashead

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Some General Questions

I change water on all my tanks on a rotating every 4th day schedule(I have 4 tanks)....I used to do every day, but when my better 1/2 got the water bill( which only went up a few dollars in actuality) I was read the riot act & toned it down. :pinch:

As long as you have a dedicated biological filter(wet/dry, bio-wheel, canister w/ bio-balls/ceramic rings), you can do as many WC's as you like, provided you use a superior dechlorinator like Prime or AquaSafe, w/ no ill effects. If you are relying on HOB filter pads for biological filtration(which is not something I recommend), I would do perhaps 25%-50% once a week, as I consider that a precarious situation @ best, especially if you keep cichlids.

As I have robust SA/CA cichlids, & superior dedicated biological filtration on all my tanks, I change 75-90% of the water each time, & they are thriving.......now if someone keeps a delicate SA dwarf cichlid species that needs a low PH & very soft water to survive, I would do no more than 10% each time, matching the PH & temp.

It really boils down to what species you are keeping. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Chris-gashead
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Chris-gashead replied the topic: Some General Questions

I have a 12 litre bucket which I use to make water changes. I fill the bucket with water from both the hot and cold tap via my bathroom (or kitchen on the downstairs aquarium) up to 10 litres, and add 5ml of "AquaSafe" to treat 10 litres of water ( i tend to add it just before the bucket is full, so that the running water will 'mix' it for me a little. I then add it straight to the aquarium (after hauling it from the bathroom to my bedroom!). In otherwords I do not allow much time for it to 'get to work on the metals' so to speak. However, it says it is an immediate action so I guess it is ok to put it straight in the aquarium then :)

Always wondered how to do a water change on massive aquariums. I have a 55 gal which I do water changes for with the old fashioned bucket method still. Takes a while, but a good work out non the less ;)

So you add the water conditioner to the tank and then add your tap water to the tank?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Some General Questions

The reason why hot water has more metals is due to the mineral sediment that builds up in hot water heaters. Not everyone flushes the hot water heater of sediments every 3 months. Your pediatric doctor will advise against using hot water for baby formula due to heavy metal present. The way I see it, if it's not good for a baby, it's not good for my fish.

I only change as much water in the winter time that will only drop the temperature of my tank no more than 5 degrees. What I have found is that with the cold water, the fish actually hang out where it is coming out of my hose. Now if the cold water was bad for the fish, they would not even hang out near the hose.

Yes you add water conditioner to the tank, and refill in the same spot as the water conditioner. The water conditioner reacts immediately upon contact with the tap water.

• Chris-gashead
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

The thing is I have small tetras in this tank. Wouldn't they feel the difference in temperature more so than larger cichlid type fish?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Some General Questions

You can store the water in the bucket and use a heater to bring it close to your tank temperature. That's how I do it.

• Chris-gashead
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

The problem with this is that with only one bucket, a water change would take literally days If I had to warm them up inbetween changes lol.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Some General Questions

Buckets, schmuckets......I have a bench w/ weights for work-outs.........

I use this for doing WC's, & this is a must-have for every aquarist :

Python Water Changer.

If you have MTS like I do ( & several others on this site!!), I seriously can't imagine hauling buckets.....not w/ how frequently I do WC's. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds