algae bloom

• scraps7_11
  • scraps7_11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

scraps7_11 created the topic: algae bloom

So I'm having repeated algae blooms. Every time I clean the tank by the time the next cleaning rolls around the water is so green I can't even see my poor fish. The local pet store is having the same problem and offered me a chemical to get rid of the problem. I haven't picked up this stuff yet because I don't want to add any possibly unnecessary stuff to my tank if the algae bloom isn't going to hurt my fish. I read that if I turn off the tank lights and cover the tank to black out any light for a week it will kill off the bloom so I tried it. It worked, but my nitrates got to high. I just can't let my tank go that long without some kind of water change. I cleaned the tank and the next day the water started turning green again. Is this going to hurt my fish? Will it go away on its own? Or should I buy the chemical ( not sure what it's called)? Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: algae bloom

Do not use chemicals to kill the algae. It will kill your fish either directly or indirectly when the algae dies. Don't use any lights at all. Do 50% water changes every 2-3 days. You can do water changes during the blackout period. Reduce feeding of your fish to every 2 days, and only one feeding a day.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: algae bloom

Rock has you covered. How often are your lights on?

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: algae bloom

if it is clearing after covering the tank for sometimes, you can overcome that algae bloom...
high nitrate can be checked by doing large water change without cleaning...

can you refresh us about capacity and type of your filter...
and tank size too!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: algae bloom

Tank size?

Number of fish, & what type?

Filtration?

Frequency & size of partial water changes?

How often do you vacuum gravel/sand?

How long is aquarium light left on?

Is there any direct sunlight beaming into tank?

Algae feeds on light, & nutrients in the water. Take away the food source, & it will die. As stated, NEVER use algae killing chemicals.....sure, it will kill algae, along w/ your fish.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• scraps7_11
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

scraps7_11 replied the topic: algae bloom

Refresher: I have a fifty five gal tank with one large Oscar. There it's no gravel/sand/substrate of any kind. The o only other living things in the tank are a soccer ball sized wad of free floating anachris and the snails that came with the plants. For filtration I have a sponge filter, a 55 gal whisper filter and a 75 gal whisper filter. I do 50% water changes on Wednesday and 75% water changes on Sunday. I have two spongesinn the fifty five filter and those rubber spikey looking things (don't know what they're called) in the seventy five filter plus two bags of bio media in both. I alternate what stuff in the filters get rinsed every week (so one week I'll rinse the media in one side of one filter the next week I'll get the next side the third week I'll start on the second filter and so on). He gets fed the day before each tank cleaning. The lights stay on at night but go off during the day (I work nights and he lives where I sleep) there isn't much natural light anywhere in my place because every window has black out curtains, but seeing how my house plants thrive around his tank and the plants in his tank keep having major growth explosions, I'm assuming I have full spectrum bulbs. Not sure though, they came with the tank. I will definitely give the black out with water changes a go. :)

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: algae bloom

Do not rinse your media, this contains the beneficial bacteria necessary to keep your tank cycled. Clean only the mechanical portion, these are the sponges, use tank water in a bucket. You should only have to do this on average once a month. I believe the rubber spikey thing in the 75 is also a form of bio media, dont touch that either.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: algae bloom

Looking for how long the lights are on......if you're getting an algal bloom to the point where the water is green soup, the lights are on entirely too long. Anything over 4-6 hours daily is waaaayyy too long, & you will be fighting an uphill battle if you don't cut back on light exposure. This is the main culprit, & needs to be addressed immediately.

I would also add an additional WC....... I have a Red Oscar in a 55 & do 90% 3X per week.....let's remember, a 55 is BARE minimum for an Oscar, & honestly, in that size tank, you could do daily WC's w/ no ill effects. With the green water you're describing, there is simply too much food in the water(nitrates, phosphates,etc) for the algae to feed on. No food source + no light = no algae.

I would simply do a massive WC, & NEVER touch the bio-balls(spikey things) & only rinse the sponges maybe every 2-3 weeks in tank water.....but I do think you are also very under-filtered mechanically, as I see no mention of filtering material in the Whispers, so from what you describe, really the only mechanical filtration you have is the sponge filter in the tank, & while they will do some mechanical, they really are a simple biological filter...... I would recommend getting a decent canister for this tank & filling w/ filter fiber for mechanical, this may help to cut down on algal bloom......if there is no filter pulling the algae out of the water, they will continue to reproduce, & you will get "pea soup" looking water....Whispers are OK mechanical filters, (I have a few myself on my smaller tanks) but Oscars can quickly overwhelm them, as they are waste producing machines.

So:
1) No light for a week. I don't think you have to black out the tank, but it couldn't hurt. Then, no more than 4 hours a day once this gets resolved. If there are plant lights in the room, they will have to be cut back to a couple of hours a day, or be moved, or all this simply will be a waste of time.

2) You must add or get some type of mechanical filtration; otherwise, this will all be for naught. I do recommend a high capacity canister, ex a Rena xp3 or XP4.

3) Add an additional WC, & make all 3 75% or greater. Again, if you have green water, there is too much available food for the algae.

NO FOOD + NO LIGHT = NO ALGAE. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: algae bloom

leaving the light on all night is the prime factor to your algae problems

• scraps7_11
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

scraps7_11 replied the topic: algae bloom

I'll change his lighting schedule and only keep the lights on when I'm awake and home. This will put his lights on for about five hours (after the black out week). I'll start doing the water changes every other day. As for the canister filter, I was trying to save for one but I'm in need of a new car, mine keeps dying, so that will have to wait. I would love to go buy one today but it just isn't financially possible at the moment. It is something I do have on my list though. I don't personally own plant lights, I just think the lights on my tank might be plant lights, but I'm not sure. I will definitely look into getting the filter fiber. I know bio media isn't too expensive. Bought three dollars worth of bio bags, a total of six bags, and only four of them are in use at the moment (they are full of those white fluvial cylinders in the filters). If you guys need me to clarify anything just let me know, I'm HORRIBLE at explaining things :blush:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds